2009-05-04

Verses about the Poor

POOR

Genesis 41:19 (Show me Genesis 41)
Seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and thin, such as I had never seen in all the land of Egypt.

Exodus 22:25 (Show me Exodus 22)
“If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him.

Exodus 23:3 (Show me Exodus 23)
nor shall you be partial to a poor man in his lawsuit.

Exodus 23:6 (Show me Exodus 23)
“You shall not pervert the justice due to your poor in his lawsuit.

Exodus 23:11 (Show me Exodus 23)
but the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie fallow, that the poor of your people may eat; and what they leave the beasts of the field may eat. You shall do likewise with your vineyard, and with your olive orchard.

Exodus 30:15 (Show me Exodus 30)
The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the Lord’s offering to make atonement for your lives.

Leviticus 14:21 (Show me Leviticus 14)
“But if he is poor and cannot afford so much, then he shall take one male lamb for a guilt offering to be waved, to make atonement for him, and a tenth of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, and a log of oil;

Leviticus 19:10 (Show me Leviticus 19)
And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 19:15 (Show me Leviticus 19)
“You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.

Leviticus 23:22 (Show me Leviticus 23)
“And when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, nor shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 25:25 (Show me Leviticus 25)
“If your brother becomes poor and sells part of his property, then his nearest redeemer shall come and redeem what his brother has sold.

Leviticus 25:35 (Show me Leviticus 25)

Kindness for Poor Brothers
“If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you.

Leviticus 25:39 (Show me Leviticus 25)
“If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave:

Leviticus 25:47 (Show me Leviticus 25)

Redeeming a Poor Man
“If a stranger or sojourner with you becomes rich, and your brother beside him becomes poor and sells himself to the stranger or sojourner with you or to a member of the stranger’s clan,

Leviticus 27:8 (Show me Leviticus 27)
And if someone is too poor to pay the valuation, then he shall be made to stand before the priest, and the priest shall value him; the priest shall value him according to what the vower can afford.

Numbers 13:20 (Show me Numbers 13)
and whether the land is rich or poor, and whether there are trees in it or not. Be of good courage and bring some of the fruit of the land.” Now the time was the season of the first ripe grapes.

Deuteronomy 15:4 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
But there will be no poor among you; for the Lord will bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance to possess-

Deuteronomy 15:7 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother,

Deuteronomy 15:9 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, ‘The seventh year, the year of release is near,’ and your eye look grudgingly[1] on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin.
[1]Or be evil; also verse 10

Deuteronomy 15:11 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

Deuteronomy 24:12 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
And if he is a poor man, you shall not sleep in his pledge.

Deuteronomy 24:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“You shall not oppress a hired servant who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your brothers or one of the sojourners who are in your land within your towns.

Deuteronomy 24:15 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
You shall give him his wages on the same day, before the sun sets (for he is poor and counts on it), lest he cry against you to the Lord, and you be guilty of sin.

Ruth 3:10 (Show me Ruth 3)
And he said, “May you be blessed by the Lord, my daughter. You have made this last kindness greater than the first in that you have not gone after young men, whether poor or rich.

1 Samuel 2:7 (Show me 1 Samuel 2)
The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts.

1 Samuel 2:8 (Show me 1 Samuel 2)
He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and on them he has set the world.

1 Samuel 18:23 (Show me 1 Samuel 18)
And Saul’s servants spoke those words in the ears of David. And David said, “Does it seem to you a little thing to become the king’s son-in-law, since I am a poor man and have no reputation?”

2 Samuel 12:1 (Show me 2 Samuel 12)

Nathan Rebukes David
And the Lord sent Nathan to David. He came to him and said to him, “There were two men in a certain city, the one rich and the other poor.

2 Samuel 12:3 (Show me 2 Samuel 12)
but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had bought. And he brought it up, and it grew up with him and with his children. It used to eat of his morsel and drink from his cup and lie in his arms,[1] and it was like a daughter to him.
[1]Hebrew bosom; also verse 8

2 Samuel 12:4 (Show me 2 Samuel 12)
Now there came a traveler to the rich man, and he was unwilling to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the guest who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.”

2 Kings 24:14 (Show me 2 Kings 24)
He carried away all Jerusalem and all the officials and all the mighty men of valor, 10,000 captives, and all the craftsmen and the smiths. None remained, except the poorest people of the land.

2 Kings 25:12 (Show me 2 Kings 25)
But the captain of the guard left some of the poorest of the land to be vinedressers and plowmen.

Nehemiah 5:1 (Show me Nehemiah 5)

Nehemiah Stops Oppression of the Poor
Now there arose a great outcry of the people and of their wives against their Jewish brothers.

Esther 9:22 (Show me Esther 9)
as the days on which the Jews got relief from their enemies, and as the month that had been turned for them from sorrow into gladness and from mourning into a holiday; that they should make them days of feasting and gladness, days for sending gifts of food to one another and gifts to the poor.

Job 5:16 (Show me Job 5)
So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts her mouth.

Job 20:10 (Show me Job 20)
His children will seek the favor of the poor, and his hands will give back his wealth.

Job 20:19 (Show me Job 20)
For he has crushed and abandoned the poor; he has seized a house that he did not build.

Job 24:4 (Show me Job 24)
They thrust the poor off the road; the poor of the earth all hide themselves.

Job 24:5 (Show me Job 24)
Behold, like wild donkeys in the desert the poor[1] go out to their toil, seeking game; the wasteland yields food for their children.
[1]Hebrew they

Job 24:9 (Show me Job 24)
(There are those who snatch the fatherless child from the breast, and they take a pledge against the poor.)

Job 24:14 (Show me Job 24)
The murderer rises before it is light, that he may kill the poor and needy, and in the night he is like a thief.

Job 29:12 (Show me Job 29)
because I delivered the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to help him.

Job 31:16 (Show me Job 31)
“If I have withheld anything that the poor desired, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail,

Job 34:19 (Show me Job 34)
who shows no partiality to princes, nor regards the rich more than the poor, for they are all the work of his hands?

Job 34:28 (Show me Job 34)
so that they caused the cry of the poor to come to him, and he heard the cry of the afflicted-

Psalm 9:18 (Show me Psalm 9)
For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.

Psalm 10:2 (Show me Psalm 10)
In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised.

Psalm 10:9 (Show me Psalm 10)
he lurks in ambush like a lion in his thicket; he lurks that he may seize the poor; he seizes the poor when he draws him into his net.

Psalm 12:5 (Show me Psalm 12)
“Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, I will now arise,” says the Lord; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.”

Psalm 14:6 (Show me Psalm 14)
You would shame the plans of the poor, but[1] the Lord is his refuge.
[1]Or for

Psalm 34:6 (Show me Psalm 34)
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.

Psalm 35:10 (Show me Psalm 35)
All my bones shall say, “O Lord, who is like you, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him, the poor and needy from him who robs him?”

Psalm 37:14 (Show me Psalm 37)
The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows to bring down the poor and needy, to slay those whose way is upright;

Psalm 40:17 (Show me Psalm 40)
As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!

Psalm 41:1 (Show me Psalm 41)

O Lord, Be Gracious to Me
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. Blessed is the one who considers the poor![1] In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him;
[1]Or weak

Psalm 49:2 (Show me Psalm 49)
both low and high, rich and poor together!

Psalm 70:5 (Show me Psalm 70)
But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!

Psalm 72:2 (Show me Psalm 72)
May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice!

Psalm 72:4 (Show me Psalm 72)
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!

Psalm 72:12 (Show me Psalm 72)
For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper.

Psalm 74:19 (Show me Psalm 74)
Do not deliver the soul of your dove to the wild beasts; do not forget the life of your poor forever.

Psalm 74:21 (Show me Psalm 74)
Let not the downtrodden turn back in shame; let the poor and needy praise your name.

Psalm 86:1 (Show me Psalm 86)

Great Is Your Steadfast Love
A Prayer of David. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.

Psalm 109:16 (Show me Psalm 109)
For he did not remember to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted, to put them to death.

Psalm 109:22 (Show me Psalm 109)
For I am poor and needy, and my heart is stricken within me.

Psalm 112:9 (Show me Psalm 112)
He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor.

Psalm 113:7 (Show me Psalm 113)
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap,

Psalm 132:15 (Show me Psalm 132)
I will abundantly bless her provisions; I will satisfy her poor with bread.

Proverbs 10:15 (Show me Proverbs 10)
A rich man’s wealth is his strong city; the poverty of the poor is their ruin.

Proverbs 13:7 (Show me Proverbs 13)
One pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

Proverbs 13:8 (Show me Proverbs 13)
The ransom of a man’s life is his wealth, but a poor man hears no threat.

Proverbs 13:23 (Show me Proverbs 13)
The fallow ground of the poor would yield much food, but it is swept away through injustice.

Proverbs 14:20 (Show me Proverbs 14)
The poor is disliked even by his neighbor, but the rich has many friends.

Proverbs 14:21 (Show me Proverbs 14)
Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor.

Proverbs 14:31 (Show me Proverbs 14)
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Proverbs 16:19 (Show me Proverbs 16)
It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Proverbs 17:5 (Show me Proverbs 17)
Whoever mocks the poor insults his Maker; he who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished.

Proverbs 18:23 (Show me Proverbs 18)
The poor use entreaties, but the rich answer roughly.

Proverbs 19:1 (Show me Proverbs 19)
Better is a poor person who walks in his integrity than one who is crooked in speech and is a fool.

Proverbs 19:4 (Show me Proverbs 19)
Wealth brings many new friends, but a poor man is deserted by his friend.

Proverbs 19:7 (Show me Proverbs 19)
All a poor man’s brothers hate him; how much more do his friends go far from him! He pursues them with words, but does not have them.[1]
[1]The meaning of the Hebrew sentence is uncertain

Proverbs 19:17 (Show me Proverbs 19)
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Proverbs 19:22 (Show me Proverbs 19)
What is desired in a man is steadfast love, and a poor man is better than a liar.

Proverbs 21:13 (Show me Proverbs 21)
Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.

Proverbs 21:17 (Show me Proverbs 21)
Whoever loves pleasure will be a poor man; he who loves wine and oil will not be rich.

Proverbs 22:2 (Show me Proverbs 22)
The rich and the poor meet together; the Lord is the maker of them all.

Proverbs 22:7 (Show me Proverbs 22)
The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.

Proverbs 22:9 (Show me Proverbs 22)
Whoever has a bountiful[1] eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.
[1]Hebrew good

Proverbs 22:16 (Show me Proverbs 22)
Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.

Proverbs 22:22 (Show me Proverbs 22)
Do not rob the poor, because he is poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate,

Proverbs 28:3 (Show me Proverbs 28)
A poor man who oppresses the poor is a beating rain that leaves no food.

Proverbs 28:6 (Show me Proverbs 28)
Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways.

Proverbs 28:8 (Show me Proverbs 28)
Whoever multiplies his wealth by interest and profit[1] gathers it for him who is generous to the poor.
[1]That is, profit that comes from charging interest to the poor

Proverbs 28:11 (Show me Proverbs 28)
A rich man is wise in his own eyes, but a poor man who has understanding will find him out.

Proverbs 28:15 (Show me Proverbs 28)
Like a roaring lion or a charging bear is a wicked ruler over a poor people.

Proverbs 28:27 (Show me Proverbs 28)
Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Proverbs 29:7 (Show me Proverbs 29)
A righteous man knows the rights of the poor; a wicked man does not understand such knowledge.

Proverbs 29:13 (Show me Proverbs 29)
The poor man and the oppressor meet together; the Lord gives light to the eyes of both.

Proverbs 29:14 (Show me Proverbs 29)
If a king faithfully judges the poor, his throne will be established forever.

Proverbs 30:9 (Show me Proverbs 30)
lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God.

Proverbs 30:14 (Show me Proverbs 30)
There are those whose teeth are swords, whose fangs are knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, the needy from among mankind.

Proverbs 31:9 (Show me Proverbs 31)
Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Proverbs 31:20 (Show me Proverbs 31)
She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.

Ecclesiastes 4:13 (Show me Ecclesiastes 4)
Better was a poor and wise youth than an old and foolish king who no longer knew how to take advice.

Ecclesiastes 4:14 (Show me Ecclesiastes 4)
For he went from prison to the throne, though in his own kingdom he had been born poor.

Ecclesiastes 5:8 (Show me Ecclesiastes 5)

The Vanity of Wealth and Honor
If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and righteousness, do not be amazed at the matter, for the high official is watched by a higher, and there are yet higher ones over them.

Ecclesiastes 6:8 (Show me Ecclesiastes 6)
For what advantage has the wise man over the fool? And what does the poor man have who knows how to conduct himself before the living?

Ecclesiastes 9:15 (Show me Ecclesiastes 9)
But there was found in it a poor, wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city. Yet no one remembered that poor man.

Ecclesiastes 9:16 (Show me Ecclesiastes 9)
But I say that wisdom is better than might, though the poor man’s wisdom is despised and his words are not heard.

Isaiah 3:14 (Show me Isaiah 3)
The Lord will enter into judgment with the elders and princes of his people: “It is you who have devoured[1] the vineyard, the spoil of the poor is in your houses.
[1]Or grazed over; compare Exodus 22:5

Isaiah 3:15 (Show me Isaiah 3)
What do you mean by crushing my people, by grinding the face of the poor?” declares the Lord God of hosts.

Isaiah 10:2 (Show me Isaiah 10)
to turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people of their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!

Isaiah 10:30 (Show me Isaiah 10)
Cry aloud, O daughter of Gallim! Give attention, O Laishah! O poor Anathoth!

Isaiah 11:4 (Show me Isaiah 11)
but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.

Isaiah 14:30 (Show me Isaiah 14)
And the firstborn of the poor will graze, and the needy lie down in safety; but I will kill your root with famine, and your remnant it will slay.

Isaiah 25:4 (Show me Isaiah 25)
For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall,

Isaiah 26:6 (Show me Isaiah 26)
The foot tramples it, the feet of the poor, the steps of the needy.”

Isaiah 29:19 (Show me Isaiah 29)
The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the Lord, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 32:7 (Show me Isaiah 32)
As for the scoundrel-his devices are evil; he plans wicked schemes to ruin the poor with lying words, even when the plea of the needy is right.

Isaiah 41:17 (Show me Isaiah 41)
When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

Isaiah 58:7 (Show me Isaiah 58)
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Isaiah 61:1 (Show me Isaiah 61)

The Year of the Lord’s Favor
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;[1] he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;[2]
[1]Or afflicted [2]Or the opening [of the eyes] to those who are blind; Septuagint and recovery of sight to the blind

Jeremiah 2:34 (Show me Jeremiah 2)
Also on your skirts is found the lifeblood of the guiltless poor; you did not find them breaking in. Yet in spite of all these things

Jeremiah 5:4 (Show me Jeremiah 5)
Then I said, “These are only the poor; they have no sense; for they do not know the way of the Lord, the justice of their God.

Jeremiah 22:16 (Show me Jeremiah 22)
He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well. Is not this to know me? declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 39:10 (Show me Jeremiah 39)
Nebuzaradan, the captain of the guard, left in the land of Judah some of the poor people who owned nothing, and gave them vineyards and fields at the same time.

Jeremiah 40:7 (Show me Jeremiah 40)
When all the captains of the forces in the open country and their men heard that the king of Babylon had appointed Gedaliah the son of Ahikam governor in the land and had committed to him men, women, and children, those of the poorest of the land who had not been taken into exile to Babylon,

Jeremiah 52:15 (Show me Jeremiah 52)
And Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried away captive some of the poorest of the people and the rest of the people who were left in the city and the deserters who had deserted to the king of Babylon, together with the rest of the artisans.

Jeremiah 52:16 (Show me Jeremiah 52)
But Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard left some of the poorest of the land to be vinedressers and plowmen.

Ezekiel 16:49 (Show me Ezekiel 16)
Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy.

Ezekiel 18:8 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
does not lend at interest or take any profit,[1] withholds his hand from injustice, executes true justice between man and man,
[1]That is, profit that comes from charging interest to the poor; also verses 13, 17 (compare Leviticus 25:36)

Ezekiel 18:12 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
oppresses the poor and needy, commits robbery, does not restore the pledge, lifts up his eyes to the idols, commits abomination,

Ezekiel 18:17 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
withholds his hand from iniquity,[1] takes no interest or profit, obeys my rules, and walks in my statutes; he shall not die for his father’s iniquity; he shall surely live.
[1]Septuagint; Hebrew from the poor

Ezekiel 22:12 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
In you they take bribes to shed blood; you take interest and profit[1] and make gain of your neighbors by extortion; but me you have forgotten, declares the Lord God.
[1]That is, profit that comes from charging interest to the poor (compare Leviticus 25:36)

Ezekiel 22:29 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice.

Amos 2:7 (Show me Amos 2)
those who trample the head of the poor into the dust of the earth and turn aside the way of the afflicted; a man and his father go in to the same girl, so that my holy name is profaned;

Amos 4:1 (Show me Amos 4)
“Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are on the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to your husbands, ‘Bring, that we may drink!’

Amos 5:11 (Show me Amos 5)
Therefore because you trample on[1] the poor and you exact taxes of grain from him, you have built houses of hewn stone, but you shall not dwell in them; you have planted pleasant vineyards, but you shall not drink their wine.
[1]Or you tax

Amos 8:4 (Show me Amos 8)
Hear this, you who trample on the needy and bring the poor of the land to an end,

Amos 8:6 (Show me Amos 8)
that we may buy the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals and sell the chaff of the wheat?”

Habakkuk 3:14 (Show me Habakkuk 3)
You pierced with his own arrows the heads of his warriors, who came like a whirlwind to scatter me, rejoicing as if to devour the poor in secret.

Zechariah 7:10 (Show me Zechariah 7)
do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”

Matthew 5:3 (Show me Matthew 5)
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 11:5 (Show me Matthew 11)
the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers[1] are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.
[1]Leprosy was a term for several skin diseases; see Leviticus 13

Matthew 19:21 (Show me Matthew 19)
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Matthew 26:9 (Show me Matthew 26)
For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor.”

Matthew 26:11 (Show me Matthew 26)
For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me.

Mark 10:21 (Show me Mark 10)
And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Mark 12:42 (Show me Mark 12)
And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny.[1]
[1]Greek two lepta, which make a kodrantes; a kodrantes (Latin quadrans) was a Roman copper coin worth about 1/64 of a denarius (which was a day’s wage for a laborer)

Mark 12:43 (Show me Mark 12)
And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box.

Mark 14:5 (Show me Mark 14)
For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii[1] and given to the poor.” And they scolded her.
[1]A denarius was a day’s wage for a laborer

Mark 14:7 (Show me Mark 14)
For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you want, you can do good for them. But you will not always have me.

Luke 4:18 (Show me Luke 4)
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed,

Luke 6:20 (Show me Luke 6)

The Beatitudes
And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 7:22 (Show me Luke 7)
And he answered them, “Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers[1] are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them.
[1]Leprosy was a term for several skin diseases; see Leviticus 13

Luke 14:13 (Show me Luke 14)
But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,

Luke 14:21 (Show me Luke 14)
So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’

Luke 16:20 (Show me Luke 16)
And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores,

Luke 16:22 (Show me Luke 16)
The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side.[1] The rich man also died and was buried,
[1]Greek bosom; also verse 23

Luke 18:22 (Show me Luke 18)
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Luke 19:8 (Show me Luke 19)
And Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold.”

Luke 21:2 (Show me Luke 21)
and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.[1]
[1]Greek two lepta; a lepton was a Jewish bronze or copper coin worth about 1/128 of a denarius (which was a day’s wage for a laborer)

Luke 21:3 (Show me Luke 21)
And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them.

John 2:10 (Show me John 2)
and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.”

John 12:5 (Show me John 12)
“Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii[1] and given to the poor?”
[1]A denarius was a day’s wage for a laborer

John 12:6 (Show me John 12)
He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.

John 12:8 (Show me John 12)
For the poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me.”

John 13:29 (Show me John 13)
Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.

Romans 15:26 (Show me Romans 15)
For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem.

1 Corinthians 4:11 (Show me 1 Corinthians 4)
To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless,

2 Corinthians 6:10 (Show me 2 Corinthians 6)
as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

2 Corinthians 8:9 (Show me 2 Corinthians 8)
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.

2 Corinthians 9:9 (Show me 2 Corinthians 9)
As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.”

Galatians 2:10 (Show me Galatians 2)
Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

James 2:2 (Show me James 2)
For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in,

James 2:3 (Show me James 2)
and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,”

James 2:5 (Show me James 2)
Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?

James 2:6 (Show me James 2)
But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court?

James 2:15 (Show me James 2)
If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food,

Revelation 3:17 (Show me Revelation 3)
For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

Revelation 13:16 (Show me Revelation 13)
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave,[1] to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,

No comments:

Post a Comment