2009-05-04

Verses about Widows

Genesis 38:11 (Show me Genesis 38)

Then Judah said to Tamar his daughter-in-law, “Remain a widow in your father’s house, till Shelah my son grows up”-for he feared that he would die, like his brothers. So Tamar went and remained in her father’s house.

Genesis 38:14 (Show me Genesis 38)
she took off her widow’s garments and covered herself with a veil, wrapping herself up, and sat at the entrance to Enaim, which is on the road to Timnah. For she saw that Shelah was grown up, and she had not been given to him in marriage.

Genesis 38:19 (Show me Genesis 38)
Then she arose and went away, and taking off her veil she put on the garments of her widowhood.

Exodus 22:22 (Show me Exodus 22)
You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child.

Exodus 22:24 (Show me Exodus 22)
and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless.

Leviticus 21:14 (Show me Leviticus 21)
A widow, or a divorced woman, or a woman who has been defiled, or a prostitute, these he shall not marry. But he shall take as his wife a virgin[1] of his own people,
[1]Hebrew young woman

Leviticus 22:13 (Show me Leviticus 22)
But if a priest’s daughter is widowed or divorced and has no child and returns to her father’s house, as in her youth, she may eat of her father’s food; yet no lay person shall eat of it.

Numbers 30:9 (Show me Numbers 30)
(But any vow of a widow or of a divorced woman, anything by which she has bound herself, shall stand against her.)

Deuteronomy 10:18 (Show me Deuteronomy 10)
He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing.

Deuteronomy 14:29 (Show me Deuteronomy 14)
And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.

Deuteronomy 16:11 (Show me Deuteronomy 16)
And you shall rejoice before the Lord your God, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite who is within your towns, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are among you, at the place that the Lord your God will choose, to make his name dwell there.

Deuteronomy 16:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 16)
You shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are within your towns.

Deuteronomy 24:17 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“You shall not pervert the justice due to the sojourner or to the fatherless, or take a widow’s garment in pledge,

Deuteronomy 24:19 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“When you reap your harvest in your field and forget a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it. It shall be for the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Deuteronomy 24:20 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
When you beat your olive trees, you shall not go over them again. It shall be for the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.

Deuteronomy 24:21 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not strip it afterward. It shall be for the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.

Deuteronomy 26:12 (Show me Deuteronomy 26)
“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your produce in the third year, which is the year of tithing, giving it to the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, so that they may eat within your towns and be filled,

Deuteronomy 26:13 (Show me Deuteronomy 26)
then you shall say before the Lord your God, ‘I have removed the sacred portion out of my house, and moreover, I have given it to the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, according to all your commandment that you have commanded me. I have not transgressed any of your commandments, nor have I forgotten them.

Deuteronomy 27:19 (Show me Deuteronomy 27)
“‘Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’

Ruth 1:1 (Show me Ruth 1)

Naomi Widowed
In the days when the judges ruled there was a famine in the land, and a man of Bethlehem in Judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he and his wife and his two sons.

Ruth 4:5 (Show me Ruth 4)
Then Boaz said, “The day you buy the field from the hand of Naomi, you also acquire Ruth[1] the Moabite, the widow of the dead, in order to perpetuate the name of the dead in his inheritance.”
[1]Masoretic Text you also buy it from Ruth

Ruth 4:10 (Show me Ruth 4)
Also Ruth the Moabite, the widow of Mahlon, I have bought to be my wife, to perpetuate the name of the dead in his inheritance, that the name of the dead may not be cut off from among his brothers and from the gate of his native place. You are witnesses this day.”

1 Samuel 27:3 (Show me 1 Samuel 27)
And David lived with Achish at Gath, he and his men, every man with his household, and David with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel, and Abigail of Carmel, Nabal’s widow.

1 Samuel 30:5 (Show me 1 Samuel 30)
David’s two wives also had been taken captive, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel.

2 Samuel 2:2 (Show me 2 Samuel 2)
So David went up there, and his two wives also, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel.

2 Samuel 3:3 (Show me 2 Samuel 3)
and his second, Chileab, of Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel; and the third, Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur;

2 Samuel 14:5 (Show me 2 Samuel 14)
And the king said to her, “What is your trouble?” She answered, “Alas, I am a widow; my husband is dead.

2 Samuel 20:3 (Show me 2 Samuel 20)
And David came to his house at Jerusalem. And the king took the ten concubines whom he had left to care for the house and put them in a house under guard and provided for them, but did not go in to them. So they were shut up until the day of their death, living as if in widowhood.

1 Kings 7:14 (Show me 1 Kings 7)
He was the son of a widow of the tribe of Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker in bronze. And he was full of wisdom, understanding, and skill for making any work in bronze. He came to King Solomon and did all his work.

1 Kings 11:26 (Show me 1 Kings 11)
Jeroboam the son of Nebat, an Ephraimite of Zeredah, a servant of Solomon, whose mother’s name was Zeruah, a widow, also lifted up his hand against the king.

1 Kings 17:8 (Show me 1 Kings 17)

The Widow of Zarephath
Then the word of the Lord came to him,

1 Kings 17:9 (Show me 1 Kings 17)
“Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you.”

1 Kings 17:10 (Show me 1 Kings 17)
So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, “Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.”

1 Kings 17:17 (Show me 1 Kings 17)

Elijah Raises the Widow’s Son
After this the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, became ill. And his illness was so severe that there was no breath left in him.

1 Kings 17:20 (Show me 1 Kings 17)
And he cried to the Lord, “O Lord my God, have you brought calamity even upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by killing her son?”

2 Kings 4:1 (Show me 2 Kings 4)

Elisha and the Widow’s Oil
Now the wife of one of the sons of the prophets cried to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord, but the creditor has come to take my two children to be his slaves.”

Job 22:9 (Show me Job 22)
You have sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless were crushed.

Job 24:3 (Show me Job 24)
They drive away the donkey of the fatherless; they take the widow’s ox for a pledge.

Job 24:21 (Show me Job 24)
“They wrong the barren, childless woman, and do no good to the widow.

Job 27:15 (Show me Job 27)
Those who survive him the pestilence buries, and his widows do not weep.

Job 29:13 (Show me Job 29)
The blessing of him who was about to perish came upon me, and I caused the widow’s heart to sing for joy.

Job 31:16 (Show me Job 31)
“If I have withheld anything that the poor desired, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail,

Job 31:18 (Show me Job 31)
(for from my youth the fatherless[1] grew up with me as with a father, and from my mother’s womb I guided the widow[2]),
[1]Hebrew he [2]Hebrew her

Psalm 68:5 (Show me Psalm 68)
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.

Psalm 78:64 (Show me Psalm 78)
Their priests fell by the sword, and their widows made no lamentation.

Psalm 94:6 (Show me Psalm 94)
They kill the widow and the sojourner, and murder the fatherless;

Psalm 109:9 (Show me Psalm 109)
May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow!

Psalm 146:9 (Show me Psalm 146)
The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.

Proverbs 15:25 (Show me Proverbs 15)
The Lord tears down the house of the proud but maintains the widow’s boundaries.

Isaiah 1:17 (Show me Isaiah 1)
learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause

Isaiah 1:23 (Show me Isaiah 1)
Your princes are rebels and companions of thieves. Everyone loves a bribe and runs after gifts. They do not bring justice to the fatherless, and the widow’s cause does not come to them.

Isaiah 9:17 (Show me Isaiah 9)
Therefore the Lord does not rejoice over their young men, and has no compassion on their fatherless and widows; for everyone is godless and an evildoer, and every mouth speaks folly.[1] For all this his anger has not turned away, and his hand is stretched out still.
[1]Or speaks disgraceful things

Isaiah 10:2 (Show me Isaiah 10)
to turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people of their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!

Isaiah 47:8 (Show me Isaiah 47)
Now therefore hear this, you lover of pleasures, who sit securely, who say in your heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me; I shall not sit as a widow or know the loss of children”:

Isaiah 47:9 (Show me Isaiah 47)
These two things shall come to you in a moment, in one day; the loss of children and widowhood shall come upon you in full measure, in spite of your many sorceries and the great power of your enchantments.

Isaiah 54:4 (Show me Isaiah 54)
“Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.

Jeremiah 7:6 (Show me Jeremiah 7)
if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm,

Jeremiah 15:8 (Show me Jeremiah 15)
I have made their widows more in number than the sand of the seas; I have brought against the mothers of young men a destroyer at noonday; I have made anguish and terror fall upon them suddenly.

Jeremiah 18:21 (Show me Jeremiah 18)
Therefore deliver up their children to famine; give them over to the power of the sword; let their wives become childless and widowed. May their men meet death by pestilence, their youths be struck down by the sword in battle.

Jeremiah 22:3 (Show me Jeremiah 22)
Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.

Jeremiah 49:11 (Show me Jeremiah 49)
Leave your fatherless children; I will keep them alive; and let your widows trust in me.”

Lamentations 1:1 (Show me Lamentations 1)

How Lonely Sits the City
How lonely sits the city that was full of people! How like a widow has she become, she who was great among the nations! She who was a princess among the provinces has become a slave.

Lamentations 5:3 (Show me Lamentations 5)
We have become orphans, fatherless; our mothers are like widows.

Ezekiel 19:7 (Show me Ezekiel 19)
and seized[1] their widows. He laid waste their cities, and the land was appalled and all who were in it at the sound of his roaring.
[1]Hebrew knew

Ezekiel 22:7 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
Father and mother are treated with contempt in you; the sojourner suffers extortion in your midst; the fatherless and the widow are wronged in you.

Ezekiel 22:25 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
The conspiracy of her prophets in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured human lives; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst.

Ezekiel 44:22 (Show me Ezekiel 44)
They shall not marry a widow or a divorced woman, but only virgins of the offspring of the house of Israel, or a widow who is the widow of a priest.

Zechariah 7:10 (Show me Zechariah 7)
do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”

Malachi 3:5 (Show me Malachi 3)
“Then I will draw near to you for judgment. I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who oppress the hired worker in his wages, the widow and the fatherless, against those who thrust aside the sojourner, and do not fear me, says the Lord of hosts.

Matthew 22:24 (Show me Matthew 22)
saying, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up children for his brother.’

Matthew 23:13 (Show me Matthew 23)
“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in.[1]
[1]Some manuscripts add here (or after verse 12) verse 14: Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive the greater condemnation

Mark 12:19 (Show me Mark 12)
“Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife, but leaves no child, the man[1] must take the widow and raise up offspring for his brother.
[1]Greek his brother

Mark 12:40 (Show me Mark 12)
who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”

Mark 12:41 (Show me Mark 12)

The Widow’s Offering
And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums.

Mark 12:42 (Show me Mark 12)
And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny.[1]
[1]Greek two lepta, which make a kodrantes; a kodrantes (Latin quadrans) was a Roman copper coin worth about 1/64 of a denarius (which was a day’s wage for a laborer)

Mark 12:43 (Show me Mark 12)
And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box.

Luke 2:37 (Show me Luke 2)
and then as a widow until she was eighty-four.[1] She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day.
[1]Or as a widow for eighty-four years

Luke 4:25 (Show me Luke 4)
But in truth, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heavens were shut up three years and six months, and a great famine came over all the land,

Luke 4:26 (Show me Luke 4)
and Elijah was sent to none of them but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.

Luke 7:11 (Show me Luke 7)

Jesus Raises a Widow’s Son
Soon afterward[1] he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a great crowd went with him.
[1]Some manuscripts The next day

Luke 7:12 (Show me Luke 7)
As he drew near to the gate of the town, behold, a man who had died was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow, and a considerable crowd from the town was with her.

Luke 18:1 (Show me Luke 18)

The Parable of the Persistent Widow
And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.

Luke 18:3 (Show me Luke 18)
And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’

Luke 18:5 (Show me Luke 18)
yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’”

Luke 20:28 (Show me Luke 20)
and they asked him a question, saying, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, having a wife but no children, the man[1] must take the widow and raise up offspring for his brother.
[1]Greek his brother

Luke 20:47 (Show me Luke 20)
who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”

Luke 21:1 (Show me Luke 21)

The Widow’s Offering
Jesus[1] looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box,
[1]Greek He

Luke 21:2 (Show me Luke 21)
and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.[1]
[1]Greek two lepta; a lepton was a Jewish bronze or copper coin worth about 1/128 of a denarius (which was a day’s wage for a laborer)

Luke 21:3 (Show me Luke 21)
And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them.

Acts 6:1 (Show me Acts 6)

Seven Chosen to Serve
Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists[1] arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution.
[1]That is, Greek-speaking Jews

Acts 9:39 (Show me Acts 9)
So Peter rose and went with them. And when he arrived, they took him to the upper room. All the widows stood beside him weeping and showing tunics[1] and other garments that Dorcas made while she was with them.
[1]Greek chiton, a long garment worn under the cloak next to the skin

Acts 9:41 (Show me Acts 9)
And he gave her his hand and raised her up. Then calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive.

1 Corinthians 7:8 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)
To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.

1 Corinthians 7:25 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)

The Unmarried and the Widowed
Now concerning[1] the betrothed,[2] I have no command from the Lord, but I give my judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy.
[1]The expression Now concerning introduces a reply to a question in the Corinthians’ letter; see 7:1 [2]Greek virgins

1 Timothy 5:3 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
Honor widows who are truly widows.

1 Timothy 5:4 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.

1 Timothy 5:5 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day,

1 Timothy 5:9 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
Let a widow be enrolled if she is not less than sixty years of age, having been the wife of one husband,[1]
[1]Or a woman of one man

1 Timothy 5:11 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
But refuse to enroll younger widows, for when their passions draw them away from Christ, they desire to marry

1 Timothy 5:14 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander.

1 Timothy 5:16 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those who are truly widows.

James 1:27 (Show me James 1)
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Revelation 18:7 (Show me Revelation 18)
As she glorified herself and lived in luxury, so give her a like measure of torment and mourning, since in her heart she says, ‘I sit as a queen, I am no widow, and mourning I shall never see

No comments:

Post a Comment