2009-05-04

Verses on Money

Genesis 17:12 (Show me Genesis 17)
He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised. Every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring,

Genesis 17:13 (Show me Genesis 17)
both he who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money, shall surely be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.

Genesis 17:23 (Show me Genesis 17)
Then Abraham took Ishmael his son and all those born in his house or bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s house, and he circumcised the flesh of their foreskins that very day, as God had said to him.

Genesis 17:27 (Show me Genesis 17)
And all the men of his house, those born in the house and those bought with money from a foreigner, were circumcised with him.

Genesis 31:15 (Show me Genesis 31)
Are we not regarded by him as foreigners? For he has sold us, and he has indeed devoured our money.

Genesis 33:19 (Show me Genesis 33)
And from the sons of Hamor, Shechem’s father, he bought for a hundred pieces of money[1] the piece of land on which he had pitched his tent.
[1]Hebrew a hundred qesitah; a unit of money of unknown value

Genesis 42:25 (Show me Genesis 42)
And Joseph gave orders to fill their bags with grain, and to replace every man’s money in his sack, and to give them provisions for the journey. This was done for them.

Genesis 42:27 (Show me Genesis 42)
And as one of them opened his sack to give his donkey fodder at the lodging place, he saw his money in the mouth of his sack.

Genesis 42:28 (Show me Genesis 42)
He said to his brothers, “My money has been put back; here it is in the mouth of my sack!” At this their hearts failed them, and they turned trembling to one another, saying, “What is this that God has done to us?”

Genesis 42:35 (Show me Genesis 42)
As they emptied their sacks, behold, every man’s bundle of money was in his sack. And when they and their father saw their bundles of money, they were afraid.

Genesis 43:12 (Show me Genesis 43)
Take double the money with you. Carry back with you the money that was returned in the mouth of your sacks. Perhaps it was an oversight.

Genesis 43:15 (Show me Genesis 43)
So the men took this present, and they took double the money with them, and Benjamin. They arose and went down to Egypt and stood before Joseph.

Genesis 43:18 (Show me Genesis 43)
And the men were afraid because they were brought to Joseph’s house, and they said, “It is because of the money, which was replaced in our sacks the first time, that we are brought in, so that he may assault us and fall upon us to make us servants and seize our donkeys.”

Genesis 43:21 (Show me Genesis 43)
And when we came to the lodging place we opened our sacks, and there was each man’s money in the mouth of his sack, our money in full weight. So we have brought it again with us,

Genesis 43:22 (Show me Genesis 43)
and we have brought other money down with us to buy food. We do not know who put our money in our sacks.”

Genesis 43:23 (Show me Genesis 43)
He replied, “Peace to you, do not be afraid. Your God and the God of your father has put treasure in your sacks for you. I received your money.” Then he brought Simeon out to them.

Genesis 44:1 (Show me Genesis 44)

Joseph Tests His Brothers
Then he commanded the steward of his house, “Fill the men’s sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man’s money in the mouth of his sack,

Genesis 44:2 (Show me Genesis 44)
and put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, with his money for the grain.” And he did as Joseph told him.

Genesis 44:8 (Show me Genesis 44)
Behold, the money that we found in the mouths of our sacks we brought back to you from the land of Canaan. How then could we steal silver or gold from your lord’s house?

Genesis 47:14 (Show me Genesis 47)
And Joseph gathered up all the money that was found in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan, in exchange for the grain that they bought. And Joseph brought the money into Pharaoh’s house.

Genesis 47:15 (Show me Genesis 47)
And when the money was all spent in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan, all the Egyptians came to Joseph and said, “Give us food. Why should we die before your eyes? For our money is gone.”

Genesis 47:16 (Show me Genesis 47)
And Joseph answered, “Give your livestock, and I will give you food in exchange for your livestock, if your money is gone.”

Genesis 47:18 (Show me Genesis 47)
And when that year was ended, they came to him the following year and said to him, “We will not hide from my lord that our money is all spent. The herds of livestock are my lord’s. There is nothing left in the sight of my lord but our bodies and our land.

Exodus 12:44 (Show me Exodus 12)
but every slave that is bought for money may eat of it after you have circumcised him.

Exodus 21:11 (Show me Exodus 21)
And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.

Exodus 21:21 (Show me Exodus 21)
But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Exodus 21:34 (Show me Exodus 21)
the owner of the pit shall make restoration. He shall give money to its owner, and the dead beast shall be his.

Exodus 22:7 (Show me Exodus 22)
“If a man gives to his neighbor money or goods to keep safe, and it is stolen from the man’s house, then, if the thief is found, he shall pay double.

Exodus 22:17 (Show me Exodus 22)
If her father utterly refuses to give her to him, he shall pay money equal to the bride-price for virgins.

Exodus 22:25 (Show me Exodus 22)
“If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him.

Exodus 30:16 (Show me Exodus 30)
You shall take the atonement money from the people of Israel and shall give it for the service of the tent of meeting, that it may bring the people of Israel to remembrance before the Lord, so as to make atonement for your lives.”

Leviticus 22:11 (Show me Leviticus 22)
but if a priest buys a slave as his property for money, the slave[1] may eat of it, and anyone born in his house may eat of his food.
[1]Hebrew he

Leviticus 25:37 (Show me Leviticus 25)
You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit.

Numbers 3:48 (Show me Numbers 3)
and give the money to Aaron and his sons as the redemption price for those who are over.”

Numbers 3:49 (Show me Numbers 3)
So Moses took the redemption money from those who were over and above those redeemed by the Levites.

Numbers 3:50 (Show me Numbers 3)
From the firstborn of the people of Israel he took the money, 1,365 shekels, by the shekel of the sanctuary.

Numbers 3:51 (Show me Numbers 3)
And Moses gave the redemption money to Aaron and his sons, according to the word of the Lord, as the Lord commanded Moses.

Deuteronomy 2:6 (Show me Deuteronomy 2)
You shall purchase food from them for money, that you may eat, and you shall also buy water of them for money, that you may drink.

Deuteronomy 2:28 (Show me Deuteronomy 2)
You shall sell me food for money, that I may eat, and give me water for money, that I may drink. Only let me pass through on foot,

Deuteronomy 14:25 (Show me Deuteronomy 14)
then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses

Deuteronomy 14:26 (Show me Deuteronomy 14)
and spend the money for whatever you desire-oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

Deuteronomy 21:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 21)
But if you no longer delight in her, you shall let her go where she wants. But you shall not sell her for money, nor shall you treat her as a slave, since you have humiliated her.

Deuteronomy 23:19 (Show me Deuteronomy 23)
“You shall not charge interest on loans to your brother, interest on money, interest on food, interest on anything that is lent for interest.

Joshua 24:32 (Show me Joshua 24)
As for the bones of Joseph, which the people of Israel brought up from Egypt, they buried them at Shechem, in the piece of land that Jacob bought from the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for a hundred pieces of money.[1] It became an inheritance of the descendants of Joseph.
[1]Hebrew for a hundred qesitah; a unit of money of unknown value

Judges 16:18 (Show me Judges 16)
When Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines, saying, “Come up again, for he has told me all his heart.” Then the lords of the Philistines came up to her and brought the money in their hands.

Judges 17:4 (Show me Judges 17)
So when he restored the money to his mother, his mother took 200 pieces of silver and gave it to the silversmith, who made it into a carved image and a metal image. And it was in the house of Micah.

1 Kings 21:2 (Show me 1 Kings 21)
And after this Ahab said to Naboth, “Give me your vineyard, that I may have it for a vegetable garden, because it is near my house, and I will give you a better vineyard for it; or, if it seems good to you, I will give you its value in money.”

1 Kings 21:6 (Show me 1 Kings 21)
And he said to her, “Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, ‘Give me your vineyard for money, or else, if it please you, I will give you another vineyard for it.’ And he answered, ‘I will not give you my vineyard.’”

1 Kings 21:15 (Show me 1 Kings 21)
As soon as Jezebel heard that Naboth had been stoned and was dead, Jezebel said to Ahab, “Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give you for money, for Naboth is not alive, but dead.”

2 Kings 5:26 (Show me 2 Kings 5)
But he said to him, “Did not my heart go when the man turned from his chariot to meet you? Was it a time to accept money and garments, olive orchards and vineyards, sheep and oxen, male servants and female servants?

Esther 3:11 (Show me Esther 3)
And the king said to Haman, “The money is given to you, the people also, to do with them as it seems good to you.”

Esther 4:7 (Show me Esther 4)
and Mordecai told him all that had happened to him, and the exact sum of money that Haman had promised to pay into the king’s treasuries for the destruction of the Jews.

Job 42:11 (Show me Job 42)
Then came to him all his brothers and sisters and all who had known him before, and ate bread with him in his house. And they showed him sympathy and comforted him for all the evil[1] that the Lord had brought upon him. And each of them gave him a piece of money[2] and a ring of gold.
[1]Or disaster [2]Hebrew a qesitah; a unit of money of unknown value

Psalm 15:5 (Show me Psalm 15)
who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved.

Proverbs 7:20 (Show me Proverbs 7)
he took a bag of money with him; at full moon he will come home.”

Proverbs 17:16 (Show me Proverbs 17)
Why should a fool have money in his hand to buy wisdom when he has no sense?

Ecclesiastes 5:10 (Show me Ecclesiastes 5)
He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 7:12 (Show me Ecclesiastes 7)
For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it.

Ecclesiastes 10:19 (Show me Ecclesiastes 10)
Bread is made for laughter, and wine gladdens life, and money answers everything.

Isaiah 43:24 (Show me Isaiah 43)
You have not bought me sweet cane with money, or satisfied me with the fat of your sacrifices. But you have burdened me with your sins; you have wearied me with your iniquities.

Isaiah 52:3 (Show me Isaiah 52)
For thus says the Lord: “You were sold for nothing, and you shall be redeemed without money.”

Isaiah 55:1 (Show me Isaiah 55)

The Compassion of the Lord
“Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Isaiah 55:2 (Show me Isaiah 55)
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food.

Jeremiah 32:9 (Show me Jeremiah 32)
“And I bought the field at Anathoth from Hanamel my cousin, and weighed out the money to him, seventeen shekels of silver.

Jeremiah 32:10 (Show me Jeremiah 32)
I signed the deed, sealed it, got witnesses, and weighed the money on scales.

Jeremiah 32:25 (Show me Jeremiah 32)
Yet you, O Lord God, have said to me, “Buy the field for money and get witnesses”-though the city is given into the hands of the Chaldeans.’”

Jeremiah 32:44 (Show me Jeremiah 32)
Fields shall be bought for money, and deeds shall be signed and sealed and witnessed, in the land of Benjamin, in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, in the cities of the hill country, in the cities of the Shephelah, and in the cities of the Negeb; for I will restore their fortunes, declares the Lord.”

Micah 3:11 (Show me Micah 3)
Its heads give judgment for a bribe; its priests teach for a price; its prophets practice divination for money; yet they lean on the Lord and say, “Is not the Lord in the midst of us? No disaster shall come upon us.”

Matthew 6:24 (Show me Matthew 6)
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.[1]
[1]Greek mammon, a Semitic word for money or possessions

Matthew 21:12 (Show me Matthew 21)

Jesus Cleanses the Temple
And Jesus entered the temple[1] and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.
[1]Some manuscripts add of God

Matthew 25:18 (Show me Matthew 25)
But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money.

Matthew 25:27 (Show me Matthew 25)
Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.

Matthew 27:6 (Show me Matthew 27)
But the chief priests, taking the pieces of silver, said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, since it is blood money.”

Matthew 28:12 (Show me Matthew 28)
And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sufficient sum of money to the soldiers

Matthew 28:15 (Show me Matthew 28)
So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.

Mark 6:8 (Show me Mark 6)
He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff-no bread, no bag, no money in their belts-

Mark 11:15 (Show me Mark 11)

Jesus Cleanses the Temple
And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.

Mark 12:41 (Show me Mark 12)

The Widow’s Offering
And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums.

Mark 14:11 (Show me Mark 14)
And when they heard it, they were glad and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him.

Luke 3:14 (Show me Luke 3)
Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.”

Luke 7:41 (Show me Luke 7)
“A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.

Luke 9:3 (Show me Luke 9)
And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics.[1]
[1]Greek chiton, a long garment worn under the cloak next to the skin

Luke 10:4 (Show me Luke 10)
Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road.

Luke 12:33 (Show me Luke 12)
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

Luke 16:9 (Show me Luke 16)
And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth,[1] so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.
[1]Greek mammon, a Semitic word for money or possessions; also verse 11; rendered money in verse 13

Luke 16:13 (Show me Luke 16)
No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”

Luke 16:14 (Show me Luke 16)

The Law and the Kingdom of God
The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him.

Luke 19:15 (Show me Luke 19)
When he returned, having received the kingdom, he ordered these servants to whom he had given the money to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by doing business.

Luke 19:23 (Show me Luke 19)
Why then did you not put my money in the bank, and at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’

Luke 22:5 (Show me Luke 22)
And they were glad, and agreed to give him money.

Luke 22:35 (Show me Luke 22)

Scripture Must Be Fulfilled in Jesus
And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.”

Luke 22:36 (Show me Luke 22)
He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

John 2:14 (Show me John 2)
In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there.

John 2:15 (Show me John 2)
And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables.

John 12:6 (Show me John 12)
He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.

John 13:29 (Show me John 13)
Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.

Acts 4:37 (Show me Acts 4)
sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.

Acts 8:18 (Show me Acts 8)
Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money,

Acts 8:20 (Show me Acts 8)
But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money!

Acts 17:9 (Show me Acts 17)
And when they had taken money as security from Jason and the rest, they let them go.

Acts 24:26 (Show me Acts 24)
At the same time he hoped that money would be given him by Paul. So he sent for him often and conversed with him.

1 Timothy 3:3 (Show me 1 Timothy 3)
not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

1 Timothy 6:10 (Show me 1 Timothy 6)
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

2 Timothy 3:2 (Show me 2 Timothy 3)
For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,

Hebrews 13:5 (Show me Hebrews 13)
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment