2009-05-04

Verses on the Needy

Deuteronomy 15:11 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

Deuteronomy 24:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“You shall not oppress a hired servant who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your brothers or one of the sojourners who are in your land within your towns.

1 Samuel 2:8 (Show me 1 Samuel 2)
He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and on them he has set the world.

Job 5:15 (Show me Job 5)
But he saves the needy from the sword of their mouth and from the hand of the mighty.

Job 24:14 (Show me Job 24)
The murderer rises before it is light, that he may kill the poor and needy, and in the night he is like a thief.

Job 29:16 (Show me Job 29)
I was a father to the needy, and I searched out the cause of him whom I did not know.

Job 30:25 (Show me Job 30)
Did not I weep for him whose day was hard? Was not my soul grieved for the needy?

Job 31:19 (Show me Job 31)
if I have seen anyone perish for lack of clothing, or the needy without covering,

Psalm 9:18 (Show me Psalm 9)
For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.

Psalm 12:5 (Show me Psalm 12)
“Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, I will now arise,” says the Lord; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.”

Psalm 35:10 (Show me Psalm 35)
All my bones shall say, “O Lord, who is like you, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him, the poor and needy from him who robs him?”

Psalm 37:14 (Show me Psalm 37)
The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows to bring down the poor and needy, to slay those whose way is upright;

Psalm 40:17 (Show me Psalm 40)
As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!

Psalm 68:10 (Show me Psalm 68)
your flock[1] found a dwelling in it; in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.
[1]Or your congregation

Psalm 69:33 (Show me Psalm 69)
For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners.

Psalm 70:5 (Show me Psalm 70)
But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!

Psalm 72:4 (Show me Psalm 72)
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!

Psalm 72:12 (Show me Psalm 72)
For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper.

Psalm 72:13 (Show me Psalm 72)
He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy.

Psalm 74:21 (Show me Psalm 74)
Let not the downtrodden turn back in shame; let the poor and needy praise your name.

Psalm 82:1 (Show me Psalm 82)

Rescue the Weak and Needy
A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

Psalm 82:4 (Show me Psalm 82)
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Psalm 86:1 (Show me Psalm 86)

Great Is Your Steadfast Love
A Prayer of David. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.

Psalm 107:41 (Show me Psalm 107)
but he raises up the needy out of affliction and makes their families like flocks.

Psalm 109:16 (Show me Psalm 109)
For he did not remember to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted, to put them to death.

Psalm 109:22 (Show me Psalm 109)
For I am poor and needy, and my heart is stricken within me.

Psalm 109:31 (Show me Psalm 109)
For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save him from those who condemn his soul to death.

Psalm 113:7 (Show me Psalm 113)
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap,

Psalm 140:12 (Show me Psalm 140)
I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and will execute justice for the needy.

Proverbs 14:31 (Show me Proverbs 14)
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Proverbs 30:14 (Show me Proverbs 30)
There are those whose teeth are swords, whose fangs are knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, the needy from among mankind.

Proverbs 31:9 (Show me Proverbs 31)
Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Proverbs 31:20 (Show me Proverbs 31)
She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.

Isaiah 10:2 (Show me Isaiah 10)
to turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people of their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!

Isaiah 14:30 (Show me Isaiah 14)
And the firstborn of the poor will graze, and the needy lie down in safety; but I will kill your root with famine, and your remnant it will slay.

Isaiah 25:4 (Show me Isaiah 25)
For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall,

Isaiah 26:6 (Show me Isaiah 26)
The foot tramples it, the feet of the poor, the steps of the needy.”

Isaiah 32:7 (Show me Isaiah 32)
As for the scoundrel-his devices are evil; he plans wicked schemes to ruin the poor with lying words, even when the plea of the needy is right.

Isaiah 41:17 (Show me Isaiah 41)
When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst, I the Lord will answer them; I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

Jeremiah 5:28 (Show me Jeremiah 5)
they have grown fat and sleek. They know no bounds in deeds of evil; they judge not with justice the cause of the fatherless, to make it prosper, and they do not defend the rights of the needy.

Jeremiah 20:13 (Show me Jeremiah 20)
Sing to the Lord; praise the Lord! For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hand of evildoers.

Jeremiah 22:16 (Show me Jeremiah 22)
He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well. Is not this to know me? declares the Lord.

Ezekiel 16:49 (Show me Ezekiel 16)
Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy.

Ezekiel 18:12 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
oppresses the poor and needy, commits robbery, does not restore the pledge, lifts up his eyes to the idols, commits abomination,

Ezekiel 22:29 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice.

Amos 2:6 (Show me Amos 2)

Judgment on Israel
Thus says the Lord: “For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, because they sell the righteous for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals-

Amos 4:1 (Show me Amos 4)
“Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are on the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to your husbands, ‘Bring, that we may drink!’

Amos 5:12 (Show me Amos 5)
For I know how many are your transgressions and how great are your sins- you who afflict the righteous, who take a bribe, and turn aside the needy in the gate.

Amos 8:4 (Show me Amos 8)
Hear this, you who trample on the needy and bring the poor of the land to an end,

Amos 8:6 (Show me Amos 8)
that we may buy the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals and sell the chaff of the wheat?”

Matthew 6:1 (Show me Matthew 6)

Giving to the Needy
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 6:2 (Show me Matthew 6)
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Matthew 6:3 (Show me Matthew 6)
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Luke 12:33 (Show me Luke 12)
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

Acts 4:34 (Show me Acts 4)
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold

Mark 2:25 (Show me Mark 2)
And he said to them, “Have you never read what David did, when he was in need and was hungry, he and those who were with him:

Luke 15:14 (Show me Luke 15)
And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need.

2 Corinthians 11:9 (Show me 2 Corinthians 11)
And when I was with you and was in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my need. So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way.

Ephesians 4:28 (Show me Ephesians 4)
Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

Philippians 4:11 (Show me Philippians 4)
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.

1 John 3:17 (Show me 1 John 3)
But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?

No comments:

Post a Comment