2009-05-04

Verses on Oppression

Genesis 31:50 (Show me Genesis 31)
If you oppress my daughters, or if you take wives besides my daughters, although no one is with us, see, God is witness between you and me.”

Exodus 1:8 (Show me Exodus 1)

Pharaoh Oppresses Israel
Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.

Exodus 1:12 (Show me Exodus 1)
But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and the more they spread abroad. And the Egyptians were in dread of the people of Israel.

Exodus 3:9 (Show me Exodus 3)
And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.

Exodus 22:21 (Show me Exodus 22)
“You shall not wrong a sojourner or oppress him, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.

Exodus 23:9 (Show me Exodus 23)
“You shall not oppress a sojourner. You know the heart of a sojourner, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 6:2 (Show me Leviticus 6)
“If anyone sins and commits a breach of faith against the Lord by deceiving his neighbor in a matter of deposit or security, or through robbery, or if he has oppressed his neighbor

Leviticus 6:4 (Show me Leviticus 6)
if he has sinned and has realized his guilt and will restore what he took by robbery or what he got by oppression or the deposit that was committed to him or the lost thing that he found

Leviticus 19:13 (Show me Leviticus 19)
“You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired servant shall not remain with you all night until the morning.

Numbers 10:9 (Show me Numbers 10)
And when you go to war in your land against the adversary who oppresses you, then you shall sound an alarm with the trumpets, that you may be remembered before the Lord your God, and you shall be saved from your enemies.

Deuteronomy 24:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“You shall not oppress a hired servant who is poor and needy, whether he is one of your brothers or one of the sojourners who are in your land within your towns.

Deuteronomy 26:7 (Show me Deuteronomy 26)
Then we cried to the Lord, the God of our fathers, and the Lord heard our voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and our oppression.

Deuteronomy 28:29 (Show me Deuteronomy 28)
and you shall grope at noonday, as the blind grope in darkness, and you shall not prosper in your ways.[1] And you shall be only oppressed and robbed continually, and there shall be no one to help you.
[1]Or shall not succeed in finding your ways

Deuteronomy 28:33 (Show me Deuteronomy 28)
A nation that you have not known shall eat up the fruit of your ground and of all your labors, and you shall be only oppressed and crushed continually,

Judges 2:18 (Show me Judges 2)
Whenever the Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge, and he saved them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge. For the Lord was moved to pity by their groaning because of those who afflicted and oppressed them.

Judges 4:3 (Show me Judges 4)
Then the people of Israel cried out to the Lord for help, for he had 900 chariots of iron and he oppressed the people of Israel cruelly for twenty years.

Judges 6:1 (Show me Judges 6)

Midian Oppresses Israel
The people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord gave them into the hand of Midian seven years.

Judges 6:9 (Show me Judges 6)
And I delivered you from the hand of the Egyptians and from the hand of all who oppressed you, and drove them out before you and gave you their land.

Judges 10:6 (Show me Judges 10)

Further Disobedience and Oppression
The people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and served the Baals and the Ashtaroth, the gods of Syria, the gods of Sidon, the gods of Moab, the gods of the Ammonites, and the gods of the Philistines. And they forsook the Lord and did not serve him.

Judges 10:8 (Show me Judges 10)
and they crushed and oppressed the people of Israel that year. For eighteen years they oppressed all the people of Israel who were beyond the Jordan in the land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead.

Judges 10:12 (Show me Judges 10)
The Sidonians also, and the Amalekites and the Maonites oppressed you, and you cried out to me, and I saved you out of their hand.

1 Samuel 10:18 (Show me 1 Samuel 10)
And he said to the people of Israel, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘I brought up Israel out of Egypt, and I delivered you from the hand of the Egyptians and from the hand of all the kingdoms that were oppressing you.’

1 Samuel 12:3 (Show me 1 Samuel 12)
Here I am; testify against me before the Lord and before his anointed. Whose ox have I taken? Or whose donkey have I taken? Or whom have I defrauded? Whom have I oppressed? Or from whose hand have I taken a bribe to blind my eyes with it? Testify against me[1] and I will restore it to you.”
[1]Septuagint; Hebrew lacks Testify against me

1 Samuel 12:4 (Show me 1 Samuel 12)
They said, “You have not defrauded us or oppressed us or taken anything from any man’s hand.”

1 Samuel 12:8 (Show me 1 Samuel 12)
When Jacob went into Egypt, and the Egyptians oppressed them,[1] then your fathers cried out to the Lord and the Lord sent Moses and Aaron, who brought your fathers out of Egypt and made them dwell in this place.
[1]Septuagint; Hebrew lacks and the Egyptians oppressed them

2 Kings 13:4 (Show me 2 Kings 13)
Then Jehoahaz sought the favor of the Lord, and the Lord listened to him, for he saw the oppression of Israel, how the king of Syria oppressed them.

2 Kings 13:22 (Show me 2 Kings 13)
Now Hazael king of Syria oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz.

1 Chronicles 16:21 (Show me 1 Chronicles 16)
he allowed no one to oppress them; he rebuked kings on their account,

Nehemiah 5:1 (Show me Nehemiah 5)

Nehemiah Stops Oppression of the Poor
Now there arose a great outcry of the people and of their wives against their Jewish brothers.

Job 10:3 (Show me Job 10)
Does it seem good to you to oppress, to despise the work of your hands and favor the designs of the wicked?

Job 27:13 (Show me Job 27)
“This is the portion of a wicked man with God, and the heritage that oppressors receive from the Almighty:

Job 35:9 (Show me Job 35)
“Because of the multitude of oppressions people cry out; they call for help because of the arm of the mighty.[1]
[1]Or the many

Psalm 9:9 (Show me Psalm 9)
The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Psalm 10:7 (Show me Psalm 10)
His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.

Psalm 10:18 (Show me Psalm 10)
to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.

Psalm 42:9 (Show me Psalm 42)
I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”

Psalm 43:2 (Show me Psalm 43)
For you are the God in whom I take refuge; why have you rejected me? Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

Psalm 44:24 (Show me Psalm 44)
Why do you hide your face? Why do you forget our affliction and oppression?

Psalm 55:3 (Show me Psalm 55)
because of the noise of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked. For they drop trouble upon me, and in anger they bear a grudge against me.

Psalm 55:11 (Show me Psalm 55)
ruin is in its midst; oppression and fraud do not depart from its marketplace.

Psalm 56:1 (Show me Psalm 56)

In God I Trust
To the choirmaster: according to The Dove on Far-off Terebinths. A Miktam[1] of David, when the Philistines seized him in Gath. Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me; all day long an attacker oppresses me;
[1]Probably a musical or liturgical term

Psalm 72:4 (Show me Psalm 72)
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!

Psalm 72:14 (Show me Psalm 72)
From oppression and violence he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight.

Psalm 73:8 (Show me Psalm 73)
They scoff and speak with malice; loftily they threaten oppression.

Psalm 103:6 (Show me Psalm 103)
The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed.

Psalm 105:14 (Show me Psalm 105)
he allowed no one to oppress them; he rebuked kings on their account,

Psalm 106:42 (Show me Psalm 106)
Their enemies oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their power.

Psalm 107:39 (Show me Psalm 107)
When they are diminished and brought low through oppression, evil, and sorrow,

Psalm 119:121 (Show me Psalm 119)
Ayin I have done what is just and right; do not leave me to my oppressors.

Psalm 119:122 (Show me Psalm 119)
Give your servant a pledge of good; let not the insolent oppress me.

Psalm 119:134 (Show me Psalm 119)
Redeem me from man’s oppression, that I may keep your precepts.

Psalm 146:7 (Show me Psalm 146)
who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets the prisoners free;

Proverbs 14:31 (Show me Proverbs 14)
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Proverbs 22:16 (Show me Proverbs 22)
Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.

Proverbs 28:3 (Show me Proverbs 28)
A poor man who oppresses the poor is a beating rain that leaves no food.

Proverbs 28:16 (Show me Proverbs 28)
A ruler who lacks understanding is a cruel oppressor, but he who hates unjust gain will prolong his days.

Proverbs 29:13 (Show me Proverbs 29)
The poor man and the oppressor meet together; the Lord gives light to the eyes of both.

Ecclesiastes 4:1 (Show me Ecclesiastes 4)

Evil Under the Sun
Again I saw all the oppressions that are done under the sun. And behold, the tears of the oppressed, and they had no one to comfort them! On the side of their oppressors there was power, and there was no one to comfort them.

Ecclesiastes 5:8 (Show me Ecclesiastes 5)

The Vanity of Wealth and Honor
If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and righteousness, do not be amazed at the matter, for the high official is watched by a higher, and there are yet higher ones over them.

Ecclesiastes 7:7 (Show me Ecclesiastes 7)
Surely oppression drives the wise into madness, and a bribe corrupts the heart.

Isaiah 1:17 (Show me Isaiah 1)
learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause.

Isaiah 3:5 (Show me Isaiah 3)
And the people will oppress one another, every one his fellow and every one his neighbor; the youth will be insolent to the elder, and the despised to the honorable.

Isaiah 3:12 (Show me Isaiah 3)
My people-infants are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, your guides mislead you and they have swallowed up[1] the course of your paths.
[1]Or they have confused

Isaiah 9:4 (Show me Isaiah 9)
For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian.

Isaiah 9:8 (Show me Isaiah 9)

Judgment on Arrogance and Oppression
The Lord has sent a word against Jacob, and it will fall on Israel;

Isaiah 10:1 (Show me Isaiah 10)
Woe to those who decree iniquitous decrees, and the writers who keep writing oppression,

Isaiah 14:2 (Show me Isaiah 14)
And the peoples will take them and bring them to their place, and the house of Israel will possess them in the Lord’s land as male and female slaves. They will take captive those who were their captors, and rule over those who oppressed them.

Isaiah 14:4 (Show me Isaiah 14)
you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon: “How the oppressor has ceased, the insolent fury[1] ceased!
[1]Dead Sea Scroll (compare Septuagint, Syriac, Vulgate); the meaning of the word in the Masoretic Text is uncertain

Isaiah 16:4 (Show me Isaiah 16)
let the outcasts of Moab sojourn among you; be a shelter to them[1] from the destroyer. When the oppressor is no more, and destruction has ceased, and he who tramples underfoot has vanished from the land,
[1]Some Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint, Syriac; Masoretic Text let my outcasts sojourn among you; as for Moab, be a shelter to them

Isaiah 19:20 (Show me Isaiah 19)
It will be a sign and a witness to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt. When they cry to the Lord because of oppressors, he will send them a savior and defender, and deliver them.

Isaiah 23:12 (Show me Isaiah 23)
And he said: “You will no more exult, O oppressed virgin daughter of Sidon; arise, cross over to Cyprus, even there you will have no rest.”

Isaiah 30:12 (Show me Isaiah 30)
Therefore thus says the Holy One of Israel, “Because you despise this word and trust in oppression and perverseness and rely on them,

Isaiah 33:15 (Show me Isaiah 33)
He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands, lest they hold a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed and shuts his eyes from looking on evil,

Isaiah 38:14 (Show me Isaiah 38)
Like a swallow or a crane I chirp; I moan like a dove. My eyes are weary with looking upward. O Lord, I am oppressed; be my pledge of safety!

Isaiah 49:26 (Show me Isaiah 49)
I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine. Then all flesh shall know that I am the Lord your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.”

Isaiah 51:13 (Show me Isaiah 51)
and have forgotten the Lord, your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, and you fear continually all the day because of the wrath of the oppressor, when he sets himself to destroy? And where is the wrath of the oppressor?

Isaiah 52:4 (Show me Isaiah 52)
For thus says the Lord God: “My people went down at the first into Egypt to sojourn there, and the Assyrian oppressed them for nothing.

Isaiah 53:7 (Show me Isaiah 53)
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth.

Isaiah 53:8 (Show me Isaiah 53)
By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people?

Isaiah 54:14 (Show me Isaiah 54)
In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.

Isaiah 58:3 (Show me Isaiah 58)
‘Why have we fasted, and you see it not? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?’ Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,[1] and oppress all your workers.
[1]Or pursue your own business

Isaiah 58:6 (Show me Isaiah 58)
“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed[1] go free, and to break every yoke?
[1]Or bruised

Isaiah 59:1 (Show me Isaiah 59)

Evil and Oppression
Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;

Isaiah 59:13 (Show me Isaiah 59)
transgressing, and denying the Lord, and turning back from following our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart lying words.

Jeremiah 6:6 (Show me Jeremiah 6)
For thus says the Lord of hosts: “Cut down her trees; cast up a siege mound against Jerusalem. This is the city that must be punished; there is nothing but oppression within her.

Jeremiah 7:6 (Show me Jeremiah 7)
if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm,

Jeremiah 9:6 (Show me Jeremiah 9)
Heaping oppression upon oppression, and deceit upon deceit, they refuse to know me, declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 21:12 (Show me Jeremiah 21)
O house of David! Thus says the Lord: “‘Execute justice in the morning, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed, lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn with none to quench it, because of your evil deeds.’”

Jeremiah 22:3 (Show me Jeremiah 22)
Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.

Jeremiah 22:17 (Show me Jeremiah 22)
But you have eyes and heart only for your dishonest gain, for shedding innocent blood, and for practicing oppression and violence.”

Jeremiah 25:38 (Show me Jeremiah 25)
Like a lion he has left his lair, for their land has become a waste because of the sword of the oppressor, and because of his fierce anger.”

Jeremiah 30:20 (Show me Jeremiah 30)
Their children shall be as they were of old, and their congregation shall be established before me, and I will punish all who oppress them.

Jeremiah 46:16 (Show me Jeremiah 46)
He made many stumble, and they fell, and they said one to another, ‘Arise, and let us go back to our own people and to the land of our birth, because of the sword of the oppressor.’

Jeremiah 50:16 (Show me Jeremiah 50)
Cut off from Babylon the sower, and the one who handles the sickle in time of harvest; because of the sword of the oppressor, every one shall turn to his own people, and every one shall flee to his own land.

Jeremiah 50:33 (Show me Jeremiah 50)
“Thus says the Lord of hosts: The people of Israel are oppressed, and the people of Judah with them. All who took them captive have held them fast; they refuse to let them go.

Ezekiel 18:7 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
does not oppress anyone, but restores to the debtor his pledge, commits no robbery, gives his bread to the hungry and covers the naked with a garment,

Ezekiel 18:12 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
oppresses the poor and needy, commits robbery, does not restore the pledge, lifts up his eyes to the idols, commits abomination,

Ezekiel 18:16 (Show me Ezekiel 18)
does not oppress anyone, exacts no pledge, commits no robbery, but gives his bread to the hungry and covers the naked with a garment,

Ezekiel 22:29 (Show me Ezekiel 22)
The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice.

Ezekiel 45:8 (Show me Ezekiel 45)
of the land. It is to be his property in Israel. And my princes shall no more oppress my people, but they shall let the house of Israel have the land according to their tribes.

Ezekiel 45:9 (Show me Ezekiel 45)
“Thus says the Lord God: Enough, O princes of Israel! Put away violence and oppression, and execute justice and righteousness. Cease your evictions of my people, declares the Lord God.

Daniel 4:27 (Show me Daniel 4)
Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable to you: break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed, that there may perhaps be a lengthening of your prosperity.”

Hosea 5:11 (Show me Hosea 5)
Ephraim is oppressed, crushed in judgment, because he was determined to go after filth.[1]
[1]Or to follow human precepts

Hosea 12:7 (Show me Hosea 12)
A merchant, in whose hands are false balances, he loves to oppress.

Amos 3:9 (Show me Amos 3)
Proclaim to the strongholds in Ashdod and to the strongholds in the land of Egypt, and say, “Assemble yourselves on the mountains of Samaria, and see the great tumults within her, and the oppressed in her midst.”

Amos 4:1 (Show me Amos 4)
“Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are on the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to your husbands, ‘Bring, that we may drink!’

Amos 6:14 (Show me Amos 6)
“For behold, I will raise up against you a nation, O house of Israel,” declares the Lord, the God of hosts; “and they shall oppress you from Lebo-hamath to the Brook of the Arabah.”

Micah 2:1 (Show me Micah 2)

Woe to the Oppressors
Woe to those who devise wickedness and work evil on their beds! When the morning dawns, they perform it, because it is in the power of their hand.

Micah 2:2 (Show me Micah 2)
They covet fields and seize them, and houses, and take them away; they oppress a man and his house, a man and his inheritance.

Zephaniah 3:1 (Show me Zephaniah 3)

Judgment on Jerusalem and the Nations
Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled, the oppressing city!

Zephaniah 3:19 (Show me Zephaniah 3)
Behold, at that time I will deal with all your oppressors. And I will save the lame and gather the outcast, and I will change their shame into praise and renown in all the earth.

Zechariah 7:10 (Show me Zechariah 7)
do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”

Zechariah 9:8 (Show me Zechariah 9)
Then I will encamp at my house as a guard, so that none shall march to and fro; no oppressor shall again march over them, for now I see with my own eyes.

Malachi 3:5 (Show me Malachi 3)
“Then I will draw near to you for judgment. I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who oppress the hired worker in his wages, the widow and the fatherless, against those who thrust aside the sojourner, and do not fear me, says the Lord of hosts.

Matthew 4:24 (Show me Matthew 4)
So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought him all the sick, those afflicted with various diseases and pains, those oppressed by demons, epileptics, and paralytics, and he healed them.

Matthew 8:16 (Show me Matthew 8)
That evening they brought to him many who were oppressed by demons, and he cast out the spirits with a word and healed all who were sick.

Matthew 8:28 (Show me Matthew 8)

Jesus Heals Two Men with Demons
And when he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes,[1] two demon-possessed[2] men met him, coming out of the tombs, so fierce that no one could pass that way.
[1]Some manuscripts Gergesenes; some Gerasenes [2]Greek daimonizomai; also verse 33; elsewhere rendered oppressed by demons

Matthew 9:32 (Show me Matthew 9)

Jesus Heals a Man Unable to Speak
As they were going away, behold, a demon-oppressed man who was mute was brought to him.

Matthew 12:22 (Show me Matthew 12)

Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit
Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw.

Matthew 15:22 (Show me Matthew 15)
And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.”

Mark 1:32 (Show me Mark 1)
That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons.

Mark 5:15 (Show me Mark 5)
And they came to Jesus and saw the demon-possessed[1] man, the one who had had the legion, sitting there, clothed and in his right mind, and they were afraid.
[1]Greek daimonizomai; also verses 16, 18; elsewhere rendered oppressed by demons

Luke 4:18 (Show me Luke 4)
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed,

Luke 8:36 (Show me Luke 8)
And those who had seen it told them how the demon-possessed[1] man had been healed.
[1]Greek daimonizomai; elsewhere rendered oppressed by demons

John 10:21 (Show me John 10)
Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”

Acts 7:24 (Show me Acts 7)
And seeing one of them being wronged, he defended the oppressed man and avenged him by striking down the Egyptian.

Acts 10:38 (Show me Acts 10)
how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

James 2:6 (Show me James 2)
But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court?

No comments:

Post a Comment