2009-05-04

Verses on Prison and Prisoners

Genesis 39:20 (Show me Genesis 39)
And Joseph’s master took him and put him into the prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were confined, and he was there in prison.

Genesis 39:21 (Show me Genesis 39)
But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love and gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison.

Genesis 39:22 (Show me Genesis 39)
And the keeper of the prison put Joseph in charge of all the prisoners who were in the prison. Whatever was done there, he was the one who did it.

Genesis 39:23 (Show me Genesis 39)
The keeper of the prison paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph’s charge, because the Lord was with him. And whatever he did, the Lord made it succeed.

Genesis 40:1 (Show me Genesis 40)

Joseph Interprets Two Prisoners’ Dreams
Some time after this, the cupbearer of the king of Egypt and his baker committed an offense against their lord the king of Egypt.

Genesis 40:3 (Show me Genesis 40)
and he put them in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, in the prison where Joseph was confined.

Genesis 40:5 (Show me Genesis 40)
And one night they both dreamed-the cupbearer and the baker of the king of Egypt, who were confined in the prison-each his own dream, and each dream with its own interpretation.

Judges 16:21 (Show me Judges 16)
And the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes and brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze shackles. And he ground at the mill in the prison.

Judges 16:25 (Show me Judges 16)
And when their hearts were merry, they said, “Call Samson, that he may entertain us.” So they called Samson out of the prison, and he entertained them. They made him stand between the pillars.

1 Kings 22:27 (Show me 1 Kings 22)
and say, ‘Thus says the king, “Put this fellow in prison and feed him meager rations of bread and water, until I come in peace.”‘”

2 Kings 17:4 (Show me 2 Kings 17)
But the king of Assyria found treachery in Hoshea, for he had sent messengers to So, king of Egypt, and offered no tribute to the king of Assyria, as he had done year by year. Therefore the king of Assyria shut him up and bound him in prison.

2 Kings 24:12 (Show me 2 Kings 24)
and Jehoiachin the king of Judah gave himself up to the king of Babylon, himself and his mother and his servants and his officials and his palace officials. The king of Babylon took him prisoner in the eighth year of his reign

2 Kings 25:27 (Show me 2 Kings 25)

Jehoiachin Released from Prison
And in the thirty-seventh year of the exile of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, Evil-merodach king of Babylon, in the year that he began to reign, graciously freed[1] Jehoiachin king of Judah from prison.
[1]Hebrew reign, lifted up the head of

2 Kings 25:29 (Show me 2 Kings 25)
So Jehoiachin put off his prison garments. And every day of his life he dined regularly at the king’s table,

2 Chronicles 16:10 (Show me 2 Chronicles 16)
Then Asa was angry with the seer and put him in the stocks in prison, for he was in a rage with him because of this. And Asa inflicted cruelties upon some of the people at the same time.

2 Chronicles 18:26 (Show me 2 Chronicles 18)
and say, ‘Thus says the king, Put this fellow in prison and feed him with meager rations of bread and water until I return in peace.’”

Ezra 7:26 (Show me Ezra 7)
Whoever will not obey the law of your God and the law of the king, let judgment be strictly executed on him, whether for death or for banishment or for confiscation of his goods or for imprisonment.”

Job 3:18 (Show me Job 3)
There the prisoners are at ease together; they hear not the voice of the taskmaster.

Job 11:10 (Show me Job 11)
If he passes through and imprisons and summons the court, who can turn him back?

Psalm 68:6 (Show me Psalm 68)
God settles the solitary in a home; he leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land.

Psalm 69:33 (Show me Psalm 69)
For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners.

Psalm 79:11 (Show me Psalm 79)
Let the groans of the prisoners come before you; according to your great power, preserve those doomed to die!

Psalm 102:20 (Show me Psalm 102)
to hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die,

Psalm 107:10 (Show me Psalm 107)
Some sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, prisoners in affliction and in irons,

Psalm 142:7 (Show me Psalm 142)
Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name! The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me.

Psalm 146:7 (Show me Psalm 146)
who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets the prisoners free;

Ecclesiastes 4:14 (Show me Ecclesiastes 4)
For he went from prison to the throne, though in his own kingdom he had been born poor.

Isaiah 10:4 (Show me Isaiah 10)
Nothing remains but to crouch among the prisoners or fall among the slain. For all this his anger has not turned away, and his hand is stretched out still.

Isaiah 14:17 (Show me Isaiah 14)
who made the world like a desert and overthrew its cities, who did not let his prisoners go home?’

Isaiah 24:22 (Show me Isaiah 24)
They will be gathered together as prisoners in a pit; they will be shut up in a prison, and after many days they will be punished.

Isaiah 42:7 (Show me Isaiah 42)
to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.

Isaiah 42:22 (Show me Isaiah 42)
But this is a people plundered and looted; they are all of them trapped in holes and hidden in prisons; they have become plunder with none to rescue, spoil with none to say, “Restore!”

Isaiah 49:9 (Show me Isaiah 49)
saying to the prisoners, ‘Come out,’ to those who are in darkness, ‘Appear.’ They shall feed along the ways; on all bare heights shall be their pasture;

Isaiah 61:1 (Show me Isaiah 61)

The Year of the Lord’s Favor
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;[1] he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;[2]
[1]Or afflicted [2]Or the opening [of the eyes] to those who are blind; Septuagint and recovery of sight to the blind

Jeremiah 32:3 (Show me Jeremiah 32)
For Zedekiah king of Judah had imprisoned him, saying, “Why do you prophesy and say, ‘Thus says the Lord: Behold, I am giving this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall capture it;

Jeremiah 37:4 (Show me Jeremiah 37)
Now Jeremiah was still going in and out among the people, for he had not yet been put in prison.

Jeremiah 37:11 (Show me Jeremiah 37)

Jeremiah Imprisoned
Now when the Chaldean army had withdrawn from Jerusalem at the approach of Pharaoh’s army,

Jeremiah 37:15 (Show me Jeremiah 37)
And the officials were enraged at Jeremiah, and they beat him and imprisoned him in the house of Jonathan the secretary, for it had been made a prison.

Jeremiah 37:18 (Show me Jeremiah 37)
Jeremiah also said to King Zedekiah, “What wrong have I done to you or your servants or this people, that you have put me in prison?

Jeremiah 52:11 (Show me Jeremiah 52)
He put out the eyes of Zedekiah, and bound him in chains, and the king of Babylon took him to Babylon, and put him in prison till the day of his death.

Jeremiah 52:31 (Show me Jeremiah 52)

Jehoiachin Released from Prison
And in the thirty-seventh year of the exile of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the twenty-fifth day of the month, Evil-merodach king of Babylon, in the year that he became king, graciously freed[1] Jehoiachin king of Judah and brought him out of prison.
[1]Hebrew king, lifted up the head of

Jeremiah 52:33 (Show me Jeremiah 52)
So Jehoiachin put off his prison garments. And every day of his life he dined regularly at the king’s table,

Lamentations 3:34 (Show me Lamentations 3)
To crush underfoot all the prisoners of the earth,

Zechariah 9:11 (Show me Zechariah 9)
As for you also, because of the blood of my covenant with you, I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit.

Zechariah 9:12 (Show me Zechariah 9)
Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double.

Matthew 5:25 (Show me Matthew 5)
Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison.

Matthew 11:2 (Show me Matthew 11)
Now when John heard in prison about the deeds of the Christ, he sent word by his disciples

Matthew 14:3 (Show me Matthew 14)
For Herod had seized John and bound him and put him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife,[1]
[1]Some manuscripts his brother’s wife

Matthew 14:10 (Show me Matthew 14)
He sent and had John beheaded in the prison,

Matthew 18:30 (Show me Matthew 18)
He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt.

Matthew 25:36 (Show me Matthew 25)
I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’

Matthew 25:39 (Show me Matthew 25)
And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

Matthew 25:43 (Show me Matthew 25)
I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’

Matthew 25:44 (Show me Matthew 25)
Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’

Matthew 27:15 (Show me Matthew 27)

The Crowd Chooses Barabbas
Now at the feast the governor was accustomed to release for the crowd any one prisoner whom they wanted.

Matthew 27:16 (Show me Matthew 27)
And they had then a notorious prisoner called Barabbas.

Mark 6:17 (Show me Mark 6)
For it was Herod who had sent and seized John and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, because he had married her.

Mark 6:27 (Show me Mark 6)
And immediately the king sent an executioner with orders to bring John’s[1] head. He went and beheaded him in the prison
[1]Greek his

Mark 15:6 (Show me Mark 15)

Pilate Delivers Jesus to Be Crucified
Now at the feast he used to release for them one prisoner for whom they asked.

Mark 15:7 (Show me Mark 15)
And among the rebels in prison, who had committed murder in the insurrection, there was a man called Barabbas.

Luke 3:20 (Show me Luke 3)
added this to them all, that he locked up John in prison.

Luke 12:58 (Show me Luke 12)
As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison.

Luke 21:12 (Show me Luke 21)
But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name’s sake.

Luke 22:33 (Show me Luke 22)
Peter[1] said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.”
[1]Greek He

Luke 23:19 (Show me Luke 23)
a man who had been thrown into prison for an insurrection started in the city and for murder.

Luke 23:25 (Show me Luke 23)
He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, for whom they asked, but he delivered Jesus over to their will.

John 3:24 (Show me John 3)
(for John had not yet been put in prison).

Acts 5:18 (Show me Acts 5)
they arrested the apostles and put them in the public prison.

Acts 5:19 (Show me Acts 5)
But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said,

Acts 5:21 (Show me Acts 5)
And when they heard this, they entered the temple at daybreak and began to teach. Now when the high priest came, and those who were with him, they called together the council and all the senate of the people of Israel and sent to the prison to have them brought.

Acts 5:22 (Show me Acts 5)
But when the officers came, they did not find them in the prison, so they returned and reported,

Acts 5:23 (Show me Acts 5)
“We found the prison securely locked and the guards standing at the doors, but when we opened them we found no one inside.”

Acts 5:25 (Show me Acts 5)
And someone came and told them, “Look! The men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the people.”

Acts 8:3 (Show me Acts 8)
But Saul was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison.

Acts 12:1 (Show me Acts 12)

James Killed and Peter Imprisoned
About that time Herod the king laid violent hands on some who belonged to the church.

Acts 12:4 (Show me Acts 12)
And when he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him over to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out to the people.

Acts 12:5 (Show me Acts 12)
So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church.

Acts 12:6 (Show me Acts 12)

Peter Is Rescued
Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison.

Acts 12:17 (Show me Acts 12)
But motioning to them with his hand to be silent, he described to them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, “Tell these things to James and to the brothers.”[1] Then he departed and went to another place.
[1]Or brothers and sisters

Acts 16:16 (Show me Acts 16)

Paul and Silas in Prison
As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling.

Acts 16:23 (Show me Acts 16)
And when they had inflicted many blows upon them, they threw them into prison, ordering the jailer to keep them safely.

Acts 16:24 (Show me Acts 16)
Having received this order, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.

Acts 16:25 (Show me Acts 16)

The Philippian Jailer Converted
About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them,

Acts 16:26 (Show me Acts 16)
and suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken. And immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone’s bonds were unfastened.

Acts 16:27 (Show me Acts 16)
When the jailer woke and saw that the prison doors were open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself, supposing that the prisoners had escaped.

Acts 16:37 (Show me Acts 16)
But Paul said to them, “They have beaten us publicly, uncondemned, men who are Roman citizens, and have thrown us into prison; and do they now throw us out secretly? No! Let them come themselves and take us out.”

Acts 16:40 (Show me Acts 16)
So they went out of the prison and visited Lydia. And when they had seen the brothers, they encouraged them and departed.

Acts 20:23 (Show me Acts 20)
except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me.

Acts 21:13 (Show me Acts 21)
Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Acts 22:4 (Show me Acts 22)
I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering to prison both men and women,

Acts 22:19 (Show me Acts 22)
And I said, ‘Lord, they themselves know that in one synagogue after another I imprisoned and beat those who believed in you.

Acts 23:18 (Show me Acts 23)
So he took him and brought him to the tribune and said, “Paul the prisoner called me and asked me to bring this young man to you, as he has something to say to you.”

Acts 23:29 (Show me Acts 23)
I found that he was being accused about questions of their law, but charged with nothing deserving death or imprisonment.

Acts 24:27 (Show me Acts 24)
When two years had elapsed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus. And desiring to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul in prison.

Acts 25:14 (Show me Acts 25)
And as they stayed there many days, Festus laid Paul’s case before the king, saying, “There is a man left prisoner by Felix,

Acts 25:27 (Show me Acts 25)
For it seems to me unreasonable, in sending a prisoner, not to indicate the charges against him.”

Acts 26:10 (Show me Acts 26)
And I did so in Jerusalem. I not only locked up many of the saints in prison after receiving authority from the chief priests, but when they were put to death I cast my vote against them.

Acts 26:31 (Show me Acts 26)
And when they had withdrawn, they said to one another, “This man is doing nothing to deserve death or imprisonment.”

Acts 27:1 (Show me Acts 27)

Paul Sails for Rome
And when it was decided that we should sail for Italy, they delivered Paul and some other prisoners to a centurion of the Augustan Cohort named Julius.

Acts 27:42 (Show me Acts 27)
The soldiers’ plan was to kill the prisoners, lest any should swim away and escape.

Acts 28:17 (Show me Acts 28)

Paul in Rome
After three days he called together the local leaders of the Jews, and when they had gathered, he said to them, “Brothers, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans.

Romans 16:7 (Show me Romans 16)
Greet Andronicus and Junia,[1] my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles,[2] and they were in Christ before me.
[1]Or Junias [2]Or messengers

2 Corinthians 6:5 (Show me 2 Corinthians 6)
beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger;

2 Corinthians 11:23 (Show me 2 Corinthians 11)
Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one-I am talking like a madman-with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death.

Galatians 3:22 (Show me Galatians 3)
But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Galatians 3:23 (Show me Galatians 3)
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed.

Ephesians 3:1 (Show me Ephesians 3)

The Mystery of the Gospel Revealed
For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles-

Ephesians 4:1 (Show me Ephesians 4)

Unity in the Body of Christ
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,

Philippians 1:7 (Show me Philippians 1)
It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace,[1] both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.
[1]Or you all have fellowship with me in grace

Philippians 1:13 (Show me Philippians 1)
so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard[1] and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ.
[1]Greek in the whole praetorium

Philippians 1:14 (Show me Philippians 1)
And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word[1] without fear.
[1]Some manuscripts add of God

Philippians 1:17 (Show me Philippians 1)
The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment.

Colossians 4:3 (Show me Colossians 4)
At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison-

Colossians 4:10 (Show me Colossians 4)
Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions-if he comes to you, welcome him),

2 Timothy 1:8 (Show me 2 Timothy 1)
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,

Philemon 1:1 (Show me Philemon 1)

Greeting
Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our beloved fellow worker

Philemon 1:9 (Show me Philemon 1)
yet for love’s sake I prefer to appeal to you-I, Paul, an old man and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus-

Philemon 1:10 (Show me Philemon 1)
I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus,[1] whose father I became in my imprisonment.
[1]Onesimus means useful (see verse 11) or beneficial (see verse 20)

Philemon 1:13 (Show me Philemon 1)
I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel,

Philemon 1:23 (Show me Philemon 1)

Final Greetings
Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends greetings to you,

Hebrews 10:34 (Show me Hebrews 10)
For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.

Hebrews 11:36 (Show me Hebrews 11)
Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment.

Hebrews 13:3 (Show me Hebrews 13)
Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.

1 Peter 3:19 (Show me 1 Peter 3)
in which[1] he went and proclaimed[2] to the spirits in prison,
[1]Or the Spirit, in whom [2]Or preached

Revelation 2:10 (Show me Revelation 2)
Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Revelation 20:7 (Show me Revelation 20)

The Defeat of Satan
And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison

No comments:

Post a Comment