2009-05-04

Verses on Slaves

Genesis 20:17 (Show me Genesis 20)
Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, and also healed his wife and female slaves so that they bore children.

Genesis 21:10 (Show me Genesis 21)
So she said to Abraham, “Cast out this slave woman with her son, for the son of this slave woman shall not be heir with my son Isaac.”

Genesis 21:12 (Show me Genesis 21)
But God said to Abraham, “Be not displeased because of the boy and because of your slave woman. Whatever Sarah says to you, do as she tells you, for through Isaac shall your offspring be named.

Genesis 21:13 (Show me Genesis 21)
And I will make a nation of the son of the slave woman also, because he is your offspring.”

Exodus 1:13 (Show me Exodus 1)
So they ruthlessly made the people of Israel work as slaves

Exodus 1:14 (Show me Exodus 1)
and made their lives bitter with hard service, in mortar and brick, and in all kinds of work in the field. In all their work they ruthlessly made them work as slaves.

Exodus 2:23 (Show me Exodus 2)

God Hears Israel’s Groaning
During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God.

Exodus 6:5 (Show me Exodus 6)
Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the people of Israel whom the Egyptians hold as slaves, and I have remembered my covenant.

Exodus 6:6 (Show me Exodus 6)
Say therefore to the people of Israel, ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.

Exodus 6:9 (Show me Exodus 6)
Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.

Exodus 9:20 (Show me Exodus 9)
Then whoever feared the word of the Lord among the servants of Pharaoh hurried his slaves and his livestock into the houses,

Exodus 9:21 (Show me Exodus 9)
but whoever did not pay attention to the word of the Lord left his slaves and his livestock in the field.

Exodus 11:5 (Show me Exodus 11)
and every firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne, even to the firstborn of the slave girl who is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the cattle.

Exodus 12:44 (Show me Exodus 12)
but every slave that is bought for money may eat of it after you have circumcised him.

Exodus 13:3 (Show me Exodus 13)

The Feast of Unleavened Bread
Then Moses said to the people, “Remember this day in which you came out from Egypt, out of the house of slavery, for by a strong hand the Lord brought you out from this place. No leavened bread shall be eaten.

Exodus 13:14 (Show me Exodus 13)
And when in time to come your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ you shall say to him, ‘By a strong hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, from the house of slavery.

Exodus 20:2 (Show me Exodus 20)
“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Exodus 21:1 (Show me Exodus 21)

Laws About Slaves
“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them.

Exodus 21:2 (Show me Exodus 21)
When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.

Exodus 21:5 (Show me Exodus 21)
But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’

Exodus 21:6 (Show me Exodus 21)
then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall bore his ear through with an awl, and he shall be his slave forever.

Exodus 21:7 (Show me Exodus 21)
“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.

Exodus 21:20 (Show me Exodus 21)
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged.

Exodus 21:21 (Show me Exodus 21)
But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Exodus 21:26 (Show me Exodus 21)
“When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye.

Exodus 21:27 (Show me Exodus 21)
If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth.

Exodus 21:32 (Show me Exodus 21)
If the ox gores a slave, male or female, the owner shall give to their master thirty shekels[1] of silver, and the ox shall be stoned.
[1]A shekel was about 2/5 ounce or 11 grams

Leviticus 19:20 (Show me Leviticus 19)
“If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free;

Leviticus 22:11 (Show me Leviticus 22)
but if a priest buys a slave as his property for money, the slave[1] may eat of it, and anyone born in his house may eat of his food.
[1]Hebrew he

Leviticus 25:6 (Show me Leviticus 25)
The Sabbath of the land shall provide food for you, for yourself and for your male and female slaves and for your hired servant and the sojourner who lives with you,

Leviticus 25:39 (Show me Leviticus 25)
“If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave:

Leviticus 25:42 (Show me Leviticus 25)
For they are my servants,[1] whom I brought out of the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold as slaves.
[1]Hebrew slaves

Leviticus 25:44 (Show me Leviticus 25)
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.

Leviticus 25:46 (Show me Leviticus 25)
You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Leviticus 25:55 (Show me Leviticus 25)
For it is to me that the people of Israel are servants.[1] They are my servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
[1]Or slaves

Leviticus 26:13 (Show me Leviticus 26)
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves. And I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect.

Deuteronomy 5:6 (Show me Deuteronomy 5)
“‘I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Deuteronomy 5:15 (Show me Deuteronomy 5)
You shall remember that you were a slave[1] in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
[1]Or servant

Deuteronomy 6:12 (Show me Deuteronomy 6)
then take care lest you forget the Lord, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Deuteronomy 6:21 (Show me Deuteronomy 6)
then you shall say to your son, ‘We were Pharaoh’s slaves in Egypt. And the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand.

Deuteronomy 7:8 (Show me Deuteronomy 7)
but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 8:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 8)
then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery,

Deuteronomy 13:5 (Show me Deuteronomy 13)
But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of slavery, to make you leave the way in which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil[1] from your midst.
[1]Or evil person

Deuteronomy 13:10 (Show me Deuteronomy 13)
You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Deuteronomy 15:15 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today.

Deuteronomy 15:17 (Show me Deuteronomy 15)
then you shall take an awl, and put it through his ear into the door, and he shall be your slave forever. And to your female slave you shall do the same.

Deuteronomy 16:12 (Show me Deuteronomy 16)
You shall remember that you were a slave in Egypt; and you shall be careful to observe these statutes.

Deuteronomy 21:14 (Show me Deuteronomy 21)
But if you no longer delight in her, you shall let her go where she wants. But you shall not sell her for money, nor shall you treat her as a slave, since you have humiliated her.

Deuteronomy 23:15 (Show me Deuteronomy 23)

Miscellaneous Laws
“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

Deuteronomy 24:7 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
“If a man is found stealing one of his brothers of the people of Israel, and if he treats him as a slave or sells him, then that thief shall die. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Deuteronomy 24:18 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
but you shall remember that you were a slave in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you from there; therefore I command you to do this.

Deuteronomy 24:22 (Show me Deuteronomy 24)
You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt; therefore I command you to do this.

Deuteronomy 28:68 (Show me Deuteronomy 28)
And the Lord will bring you back in ships to Egypt, a journey that I promised that you should never make again; and there you shall offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but there will be no buyer.”

Joshua 24:17 (Show me Joshua 24)
for it is the Lord our God who brought us and our fathers up from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, and who did those great signs in our sight and preserved us in all the way that we went, and among all the peoples through whom we passed.

1 Samuel 4:9 (Show me 1 Samuel 4)
Take courage, and be men, O Philistines, lest you become slaves to the Hebrews as they have been to you; be men and fight.”

1 Samuel 8:17 (Show me 1 Samuel 8)
He will take the tenth of your flocks, and you shall be his slaves.

1 Kings 9:21 (Show me 1 Kings 9)
their descendants who were left after them in the land, whom the people of Israel were unable to devote to destruction[1]-these Solomon drafted to be slaves, and so they are to this day.
[1]That is, set apart (devote) as an offering to the Lord (for destruction)

1 Kings 9:22 (Show me 1 Kings 9)
But of the people of Israel Solomon made no slaves. They were the soldiers, they were his officials, his commanders, his captains, his chariot commanders and his horsemen.

2 Kings 4:1 (Show me 2 Kings 4)

Elisha and the Widow’s Oil
Now the wife of one of the sons of the prophets cried to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord, but the creditor has come to take my two children to be his slaves.”

1 Chronicles 2:34 (Show me 1 Chronicles 2)
Now Sheshan had no sons, only daughters, but Sheshan had an Egyptian slave whose name was Jarha.

1 Chronicles 2:35 (Show me 1 Chronicles 2)
So Sheshan gave his daughter in marriage to Jarha his slave, and she bore him Attai.

2 Chronicles 8:9 (Show me 2 Chronicles 8)
But of the people of Israel Solomon made no slaves for his work; they were soldiers, and his officers, the commanders of his chariots, and his horsemen.

2 Chronicles 28:10 (Show me 2 Chronicles 28)
And now you intend to subjugate the people of Judah and Jerusalem, male and female, as your slaves. Have you not sins of your own against the Lord your God?

Ezra 9:8 (Show me Ezra 9)
But now for a brief moment favor has been shown by the Lord our God, to leave us a remnant and to give us a secure hold[1] within his holy place, that our God may brighten our eyes and grant us a little reviving in our slavery.
[1]Hebrew nail, or tent-pin

Ezra 9:9 (Show me Ezra 9)
For we are slaves. Yet our God has not forsaken us in our slavery, but has extended to us his steadfast love before the kings of Persia, to grant us some reviving to set up the house of our God, to repair its ruins, and to give us protection[1] in Judea and Jerusalem.
[1]Hebrew a wall

Nehemiah 5:5 (Show me Nehemiah 5)
Now our flesh is as the flesh of our brothers, our children are as their children. Yet we are forcing our sons and our daughters to be slaves, and some of our daughters have already been enslaved, but it is not in our power to help it, for other men have our fields and our vineyards.”

Nehemiah 9:17 (Show me Nehemiah 9)
They refused to obey and were not mindful of the wonders that you performed among them, but they stiffened their neck and appointed a leader to return to their slavery in Egypt. But you are a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and did not forsake them.

Nehemiah 9:36 (Show me Nehemiah 9)
Behold, we are slaves this day; in the land that you gave to our fathers to enjoy its fruit and its good gifts, behold, we are slaves.

Esther 7:4 (Show me Esther 7)
For we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be killed, and to be annihilated. If we had been sold merely as slaves, men and women, I would have been silent, for our affliction is not to be compared with the loss to the king.”

Job 3:19 (Show me Job 3)
The small and the great are there, and the slave is free from his master.

Job 7:2 (Show me Job 7)
Like a slave who longs for the shadow, and like a hired hand who looks for his wages,

Psalm 105:17 (Show me Psalm 105)
he had sent a man ahead of them, Joseph, who was sold as a slave.

Proverbs 19:10 (Show me Proverbs 19)
It is not fitting for a fool to live in luxury, much less for a slave to rule over princes.

Proverbs 22:7 (Show me Proverbs 22)
The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.

Proverbs 30:22 (Show me Proverbs 30)
a slave when he becomes king, and a fool when he is filled with food;

Ecclesiastes 2:7 (Show me Ecclesiastes 2)
I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were born in my house. I had also great possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who had been before me in Jerusalem.

Ecclesiastes 10:7 (Show me Ecclesiastes 10)
I have seen slaves on horses, and princes walking on the ground like slaves.

Isaiah 14:2 (Show me Isaiah 14)
And the peoples will take them and bring them to their place, and the house of Israel will possess them in the Lord’s land as male and female slaves. They will take captive those who were their captors, and rule over those who oppressed them.

Isaiah 24:2 (Show me Isaiah 24)
And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the slave, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the creditor, so with the debtor.

Jeremiah 2:14 (Show me Jeremiah 2)
“Is Israel a slave? Is he a homeborn servant? Why then has he become a prey?

Jeremiah 25:14 (Show me Jeremiah 25)
For many nations and great kings shall make slaves even of them, and I will recompense them according to their deeds and the work of their hands.”

Jeremiah 27:7 (Show me Jeremiah 27)
All the nations shall serve him and his son and his grandson, until the time of his own land comes. Then many nations and great kings shall make him their slave.

Jeremiah 34:9 (Show me Jeremiah 34)
that everyone should set free his Hebrew slaves, male and female, so that no one should enslave a Jew, his brother.

Jeremiah 34:10 (Show me Jeremiah 34)
And they obeyed, all the officials and all the people who had entered into the covenant that everyone would set free his slave, male or female, so that they would not be enslaved again. They obeyed and set them free.

Jeremiah 34:11 (Show me Jeremiah 34)
But afterward they turned around and took back the male and female slaves they had set free, and brought them into subjection as slaves.

Jeremiah 34:16 (Show me Jeremiah 34)
but then you turned around and profaned my name when each of you took back his male and female slaves, whom you had set free according to their desire, and you brought them into subjection to be your slaves.

Lamentations 1:1 (Show me Lamentations 1)

How Lonely Sits the City
How lonely sits the city that was full of people! How like a widow has she become, she who was great among the nations! She who was a princess among the provinces has become a slave.

Lamentations 5:8 (Show me Lamentations 5)
Slaves rule over us; there is none to deliver us from their hand.

Ezekiel 34:27 (Show me Ezekiel 34)
And the trees of the field shall yield their fruit, and the earth shall yield its increase, and they shall be secure in their land. And they shall know that I am the Lord, when I break the bars of their yoke, and deliver them from the hand of those who enslaved them.

Micah 6:4 (Show me Micah 6)
For I brought you up from the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery, and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam.

Nahum 2:7 (Show me Nahum 2)
its mistress[1] is stripped;[2] she is carried off, her slave girls lamenting, moaning like doves and beating their breasts.
[1]The meaning of the Hebrew word rendered its mistress is uncertain [2]Or exiled

Matthew 20:27 (Show me Matthew 20)
and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,[1]
[1]Greek bondservant (doulos)

Mark 10:44 (Show me Mark 10)
and whoever would be first among you must be slave[1] of all.
[1]Greek bondservant (doulos)

John 8:33 (Show me John 8)
They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?”

John 8:34 (Show me John 8)
Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave[1] to sin.
[1]Greek bondservant; also verse 35

John 8:35 (Show me John 8)
The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever.

Acts 7:6 (Show me Acts 7)
And God spoke to this effect-that his offspring would be sojourners in a land belonging to others, who would enslave them and afflict them four hundred years.

Acts 16:16 (Show me Acts 16)

Paul and Silas in Prison
As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling.

Romans 1:1 (Show me Romans 1)

Greeting
Paul, a servant[1] of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
[1]Or slave; Greek bondservant

Romans 6:6 (Show me Romans 6)
We know that our old self[1] was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
[1]Greek man

Romans 6:15 (Show me Romans 6)

Slaves to Righteousness
What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!

Romans 6:16 (Show me Romans 6)
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves,[1] you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?
[1]Greek bondservants. Twice in this verse and verse 19; also once in verses 17, 20

Romans 6:17 (Show me Romans 6)
But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed,

Romans 6:18 (Show me Romans 6)
and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Romans 6:19 (Show me Romans 6)
I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

Romans 6:20 (Show me Romans 6)
For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

Romans 6:22 (Show me Romans 6)
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.

Romans 8:15 (Show me Romans 8)
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

1 Corinthians 6:12 (Show me 1 Corinthians 6)

Flee Sexual Immorality
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.

1 Corinthians 7:15 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)
But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you[1] to peace.
[1]Some manuscripts us

1 Corinthians 7:21 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)
Were you a slave[1] when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.)
[1]Greek bondservant; also twice in verse 22 and once in verse 23 (plural)

1 Corinthians 7:22 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)
For he who was called in the Lord as a slave is a freedman of the Lord. Likewise he who was free when called is a slave of Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:23 (Show me 1 Corinthians 7)
You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.

1 Corinthians 9:27 (Show me 1 Corinthians 9)
But I discipline my body and keep it under control,[1] lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
[1]Greek I pummel my body and make it a slave

1 Corinthians 12:13 (Show me 1 Corinthians 12)
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body-Jews or Greeks, slaves[1] or free-and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
[1]Or servants; Greek bondservants

2 Corinthians 11:20 (Show me 2 Corinthians 11)
For you bear it if someone makes slaves of you, or devours you, or takes advantage of you, or puts on airs, or strikes you in the face.

Galatians 1:10 (Show me Galatians 1)
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant[1] of Christ.
[1]Or slave; Greek bondservant

Galatians 2:4 (Show me Galatians 2)
Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in-who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery-

Galatians 3:28 (Show me Galatians 3)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave[1] nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
[1]Greek bondservant

Galatians 4:1 (Show me Galatians 4)

Sons and Heirs
I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a slave,[1] though he is the owner of everything,
[1]Greek bondservant; also verse 7

Galatians 4:3 (Show me Galatians 4)
In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles[1] of the world.
[1]Or elemental spirits; also verse 9

Galatians 4:7 (Show me Galatians 4)
So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Galatians 4:8 (Show me Galatians 4)

Paul’s Concern for the Galatians
Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods.

Galatians 4:9 (Show me Galatians 4)
But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?

Galatians 4:22 (Show me Galatians 4)
For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and one by a free woman.

Galatians 4:23 (Show me Galatians 4)
But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, while the son of the free woman was born through promise.

Galatians 4:24 (Show me Galatians 4)
Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.

Galatians 4:25 (Show me Galatians 4)
Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia;[1] she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.
[1]Some manuscripts For Sinai is a mountain in Arabia

Galatians 4:30 (Show me Galatians 4)
But what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the slave woman and her son, for the son of the slave woman shall not inherit with the son of the free woman.”

Galatians 4:31 (Show me Galatians 4)
So, brothers, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman.

Galatians 5:1 (Show me Galatians 5)

Christ Has Set Us Free
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

Ephesians 6:5 (Show me Ephesians 6)

Slaves and Masters
Slaves,[1] obey your earthly masters[2] with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,
[1]Or servants; Greek bondservants; similarly verse 8 [2]Or your masters according to the flesh

Ephesians 6:6 (Show me Ephesians 6)
not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants[1] of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart,
[1]Or slaves; Greek bondservants

Ephesians 6:8 (Show me Ephesians 6)
knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free.

Philippians 1:1 (Show me Philippians 1)

Greeting
Paul and Timothy, servants[1] of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers[2] and deacons:[3]
[1]Or slaves; Greek bondservants [2]Or bishops; Greek episkopoi [3]Or servants, or ministers; Greek diakonoi

Colossians 3:11 (Show me Colossians 3)
Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave,[1] free; but Christ is all, and in all.
[1]Greek bondservant

Colossians 3:22 (Show me Colossians 3)
Slaves,[1] obey in everything those who are your earthly masters,[2] not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.
[1]Or Servants; Greek Bondservants [2]Or your masters according to the flesh

Colossians 4:1 (Show me Colossians 4)
Masters, treat your slaves[1] justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.
[1]Or servants; Greek bondservants

1 Timothy 1:10 (Show me 1 Timothy 1)
the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers,[1] liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound[2] doctrine,
[1]That is, those who take someone captive in order to sell him into slavery [2]Or healthy

1 Timothy 6:1 (Show me 1 Timothy 6)
Let all who are under a yoke as slaves[1] regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled.
[1]Greek bondservants

Titus 1:1 (Show me Titus 1)

Greeting
Paul, a servant[1] of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness,
[1]Or slave; Greek bondservant

Titus 2:3 (Show me Titus 2)
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,

Titus 2:9 (Show me Titus 2)
Slaves[1] are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative,
[1]Or servants; Greek bondservants

Titus 3:3 (Show me Titus 3)
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.

Philemon 1:16 (Show me Philemon 1)
no longer as a slave[1] but more than a slave, as a beloved brother-especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
[1]Greek bondservant; twice in this verse

Hebrews 2:15 (Show me Hebrews 2)
and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

James 1:1 (Show me James 1)

Greeting
James, a servant[1] of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.
[1]Or slave; Greek bondservant

2 Peter 1:1 (Show me 2 Peter 1)

Greeting
Simeon[1] Peter, a servant[2] and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
[1]Some manuscripts Simon [2]Or slave; Greek bondservant

2 Peter 2:19 (Show me 2 Peter 2)
They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves[1] of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.
[1]Greek bondservants

Jude 1:1 (Show me Jude 1)

Greeting
Jude, a servant[1] of Jesus Christ and brother of James, To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for[2] Jesus Christ:
[1]Or slave; Greek bondservant [2]Or by

Revelation 6:15 (Show me Revelation 6)
Then the kings of the earth and the great ones and the generals and the rich and the powerful, and everyone, slave[1] and free, hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains,
[1]Or servant; Greek bondservant

Revelation 13:16 (Show me Revelation 13)
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave,[1] to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,
[1]Greek bondservant

Revelation 18:13 (Show me Revelation 18)
cinnamon, spice, incense, myrrh, frankincense, wine, oil, fine flour, wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and slaves, that is, human souls.[1]
[1]Or and slaves, and human lives

Revelation 19:18 (Show me Revelation 19)
to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave,[1] both small and great.”
[1]Greek bondservant

No comments:

Post a Comment